Mares Mission 2 - choose one gas mix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ben86

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I've posted this question in another forum, but got no reply. Maybe someone here can help...

I've bought a Mares Mission 2 Console (pressure gauge + depth gauge).
The manual that came with it states as follows:

WARNING
The pressure gauge is designed for use
with only one gas mixture. At the time of
purchase, the purchaser must choose the
mix to be used: breathable air or oxygen-
enriched breathable air (Nitrox).

Preselected mixture - air:
The pressure gauge is designed for use with air. The air used
in the tank must comply with the EN 12021 European standard. For safety reasons,
mixtures other than that indicated may not be used.

Preselected mixture - Nitrox:
The pressure gauge is designed for use exclusively with
Nitrox, maximum 50% oxygen. For safety reasons, the use of air (EN 12021) is strictly
forbidden, as is the use of mixtures other than Nitrox or oxygen,
which could contaminate the
equipment.

WARNING
it is strictly forbidden to switch from using
air to Nitrox and vice versa

This console is part of my first own set of equipment, I've only used rented equipment before.
When diving using rented equipment, and during my course, we used the same set when changing between nitrox (32% and 36%) and air.
Do these warnings mean I have to buy a second console and constantly switch between dives?

Thanks!

Hi Ben,
This is a good but tricky question, as the rules and or regulations of nitrox can vary by country. In the U.S. Mares regulators and gauges can be used with air and nitrox no greater than 40% out of the box with no modification. Anything above 40% you need to have them 02 cleaned and kitted out for high percent oxygen.

In EU this is not the case, and I believe they are required to have a dedicated set of equipment for any percentage of nitrox use. (Don't quote me and I'm not 100% sure of this). I suggest you speak with your local retailer / dive center / resort. and get the details specific to your location.

I hope this helps.

Zak

Hi Zak, thanks for the reply!

I dive in Israel, but I bought the console in Germany.
If I understood you correctly, using the same console for both air and nitrox up to 40% is only a matter of regulations, right?
There's no difference between the console Mares sells in the US and the one it sells in the EU?
As I said, in diving centers here we use the same gear (console & regulators) for both, so I suppose we follow the same regulations as in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom