Mares Isotherm 6.5 semidry- love it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fstbttms

Contributor
Reaction score
This week I just started working in the Isotherm 6.5 (bought online at Scuba.com). Can't say enough good things about it. This suit nearly qualifies as a drysuit. From the waist up, I stay (for all intents and purposes) dry. And from the waist down, the flow-through is almost nonexistant. The TIZIP zipper is easier to use than any drysuit zipper I've ever used and is absolutely waterproof. The only question I have left is about durability and time is the only way that one will be answered. But so far, so good! Best off-the-rack wetsuit I have ever owned.

Last edited:
I agree it's a great suit! So warm I prefer it over my drysuit. As far as longevity, I've had mine for around a year with around 100 dives on it and the only wear I see is on the neck.

I own the trilastic version of this suit as well. Do you guys find the arms to be a bit short? It's a double cuff system. One slides inside the glove while you zip the outer cuff over the gauntlet of your glove. I have found the outer cuff on mine too short and my gloves have a generous gauntlet.

Donning/doffing the suit is fairly easy and I can zip/unzip the suit by myself with the help of a long lanyard. I find that my chest is nearly dry after each dive. I do get chilled at depth, even with the effective seals.

Would love if they had used a thicker neoprene on the chest area and made a longer outer cuff. After a year and about 30-40 dives in the Monterey California area, mine shows very little wear.

Claude

fstbttms:

Are you referring to the inner wrist seal that has the smooth lining? You definitely have to be careful since it's not reinforced by any stitching. Strange that it woul delaminate like that since the neoprene has such elasticity.

Any case, it's rather easy to repair with neoprene cement. That stuff works pretty much like the rubber cement for bicycle patching. Excercise patience in letting the stuff dry before you join the two pieces.

CHL

Believe me, I have plenty of experience in repairing neoprene. Just noticed the neck seal starting to open up at the seam as well. I'm sure the reason these seams are opening is because I strip down to the vest 6 or 8 (or more) times a day, 4 or 5 days a week. I put a lot of wear on my suits. I had hoped this Mares would be up to the task but it looks like I'll be on tear patrol for the duration. Oh well. :rolleyes:

I have a regular 7-5-3 trilastic XL from a few years ago. I am looking at upgrading due to age and the fact that I've gained some weight. I am 5'8" 210 lb's and the XL is wearable, but snug. I wanted to know a couple of things.
1. How much warmer is the semi dry isotherm suit. I dive anywhere from 38-75 deg F water. At 50, its pretty cool and down right cold at 38.
2. Will the semi dry be to hot in 75 deg F water. I dive in the ocean every now and then with 70-75 deg F water.
3. Will an 2XL be to big? There is a really good deal on one. I am quite snug in my existing and figured I may need to go up. My height is usually the problem.

Hi Golyth:

That's a hard to judge. The Isotherm does keep you very dry compared to any other suit I have worn. My chest and back are dry during the dive. I really appreciate the water flow restrictive properties of the suit. However, when I drop below the thermocline at depth, I really become very cold.

On shallower dives (40-50ft), I will start to get cold after about 35-40 minutes. Although, I have never been tolerant to the cold so someone who can tolerate better tolerate the cold will do well with the Isotherm.

Claude

P.S. I dive in the Monterey area. The water is usually anywhere from about 47 degrees to 55 degrees.

I own one for several years and it is still holding up. As for keeping warm with it, I dove in Tobermorry Canada in 34 F water. What i recommend is to get a 1.5 mm seamless shorth like the Scubapro to wear underneath in very cold water situation. This suit combination is warmer than a dry suit in shallow dive condition. I only dove with my suit when going on deep cold water dive. Otherwise, I used my Iso. This is a great suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom