Mares Ice/Metal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishfood

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hay my friend just bought a new metal.. he was so happy till i told him i dont think u can use it with enriched air... then he was so sad... i check on the web page and it looks like u cant...

The real question is it a big NO what are u stupid?
a not a good idea?
It will work ?
not a problem?

i see nothing that says you can't use it with Nitrox. There is nothing inherent in the design that seems to prohibit use with Nitrox. Most companies sell kits so that regs can be brought into oxygen compliance, meaning that it will be safe to use with higher O2 percentages. I would suggest asking the dealer, or if it was bought at a certain-large-chain-of-dive-shops-that-does-not-acknowlege-the-exsistence-of-nitrox, go to another shop that sells mares, and has nitrox.

You should be able to dive NITROX with the Proton XL Metal. As long as it is not titanium, most regs can be converted to suit EANx.

The o-rings in the regs must be suitable for high o2 environment. And if you are diving a diaphram 1st stage, then you'll have to be sure that the diaphram material is suitable for high o2 env.

Mares will not put in their manual that the reg is suitable for NITROX as it will make them liable to more legal matters when murphy strikes.

All the proton range is nitrox compatable to 40% :wink:

Mares like to sell their nitox version as well, hence the faluire to mention anything in the documentation, They also claim you should have any Mares BC made nitrox compatable :11:

This is without doubt the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. Even the Ti planet is theoretically safe with 40%

Mares sometimes drop clangers like this, its a shame as their kit is very good for rec. diving and insulting their customers intelligence is not IMHO a good marketing ploy.

You have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Mares, as with most manufacturers, have their corporate attorneys covering their backs.

The only common problem in using EANx recreational blends (under EAN40) is that the high oxygen content causes a bit faster oxidation of the buna material of which the O-rings are composed. Regular service takes care of this problem. For what it is worth, I've serviced many, many Mares regs over the last five years that have been used regularly with nitrox. I've yet to see any O-rings that show visible deterioration.

Greg

The Mares "ice" should have no problem with Nitrox (up to EAN 40). Mares just want to make more money from their "Nitrox regs". If your friend still worried, he can have his Ice O2 cleaned.

It is my understanding that US law is different than Euro law re: Nitrox compatible regulators. In Europe it is mandatory to differentiate Nitrox regs from non Nitrox regs. In U.S. All Mares regulators are Nitrox ready up to 40% out of the box, as is the case w/ most manufactures. Mares regulators are manufactured in Europe which is why in the literature it suggests otherwise. I think the literature in new reg packaging states for US consumers it is ok up to 40%. It is also my understanding that in the US, Mares does not sell a "Nitrox" regulator as an option, which refutes the suggestion that they are just trying to "sell" more. They do have a nitrox kit, which is very little $ to upgrade the regulator to a higher nitrox mix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom