Mares HUB--Pros & Cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spivgar

New
Reaction score
I have been thinking about purchasing a Mares HUB BCD--looks like a great concept. I would like to hear from anyone who has actually used one--good or bad? They are expensive--are they worth it? Thanks in advance. GS

Perhaps the worst idea ever to hit scuba. The HUB is to scuba gear what a boom-box is to stereo equipment, that is if a typical boom-box was priced like a high end Bose system. I had to replace an instrument console on one once for a customer, had to tear the whole thing apart because the HP hose was connected INSIDE the plastic backpack.

Rethink your thought or you'll regret it.

The only conceivable reason for getting the HUB is if it's going to be your back-up. Since the reg and bc is integrated, one failure will render the other useless. this is also very heavy and bulky compared to a seperate reg and BC combined. For the price of the HUB, im sure you can get a decent reg and BC setup.

Last edited:
I used one for almost 200 dives.

I did (after about 75 dives) remove the Mares guts, and hoses, and regs, and just used the jacket as a regular BCD, which it was fine as.

The cons listed above are apt... except... while the systems are integrated, they are able to be seperated (as I did); however... the first stage is rigged to work with extra large hoses (to fit their manifolds) so the first stage would need many adaptors to make it work with standard hoses. The BCD part works fine on its own without the extra stuff in there.

If you can find a good deal on one, it makes a decent beginners system....

I haven't used it, but from what I see here the only pro must be for anyone with horrible memory. Perhaps it reduces the chance of forgetting something if everything is integrated. Personally, I prefer to perform "bag integration". When everything is cleaned and dried after diving, everything gets integrated into the same large duffel and is ready for the next trip.

OK--Well, I guess that answers my question. It sounds like I ought to save my money and forget that idea. Thanks very much to all those who responded--I very much appreciate your honest responses. GS

I have had my HUB system for years and love it! I like having all of my equipment tidy and compact so when I want to penetrate a wreck, I don't worry about getting caught on random sharp objects. Granted I take it in for service and don't deal with that aspect so for me it had been great.

Back
Top Bottom