Mares Genius experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JIMMY PHILLIPS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently upgraded from Icon HD to Genius via free replacement of ICON HD by Mares after 2 years of great diving. Way to go Mares!!! Last dive in Fiji and my ICON log was blanked...lost all dive data, so Mares replaced it.
Love the Genius so much, I bought my wife one, but hers will not connect to iPhone to import dive logs. Bluetooth transmitter doesn’t seem to be working. I will have to send it in to resolve. Mine has a squirrelly compass, even after calibrating several times. A little jumpy and supposed to be tilt compensated but any tilt creates errors, about 1 degree azimuth error per degree of tilt. I may have to send mine in as well.
Now the good side. When it works, it is much better than the Icon HD, no longer a battery hog!!! When it is off it uses NO POWER. The Icon used 4% a day, even when not used. The Genius uses nothing. I charged it 2 weeks before heading to Bonaire and was still at 100% going into 1st dive. Uses about 4% a day of 3 dives of 60 minutes each. I am on day 4 and no need to charge...yet! Genius has my picture on home screen so no more accidental computer swaps with wife! Long story, but happened once and had to scrub a dive as sharks showed up...bummer.

Hi,

I just bought a Genius and I’m not able synch it to my iPhone either. I’m not sure if I’m missing a step or not? I’m using the My SSI app but when I search for a Bluetooth signal nothing shows up. Any tips would be much appreciated.

We have seen this several times here in the store. They will connect to android but not I-Phone. The remedy is to make sure you have the latest version of the MYSSI app. Then you will need to go to Mares.com and download the latest software update for the genius. Make sure you have the Mares Dive Organizer for Windows or the Mares Diver Diary for MAC downloaded. You will need to connect your Genius to one of those programs with the supplied cord that came with it. Then upload the new software that you downloaded from Mares. This always fixes the issues our customers have. It seems that when Apple does an update on the I-Phone it messes with the Bluetooth Connection. We will try and do a video on Youtube that addresses this procedure. Give us a week or so and we will try to get it uploaded @ www.youtube.com/lakehickoryscuba

How is the visibility of the Genius in direct sunlight can you see the screen easily?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom