Mares Carbon Spearguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmburch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
What is the difference between an Instinct Carbon and a Phantom Carbon?

Last edited:
What is the difference between an Instinct Carbon and a Phantom Carbon?

That is an extensive question. There are many differences and I'll try to outline most below.

• Phantom is new injection molded technology with multi composite (nylon and Carbon fibers). Instinct is standard construction carbon fiber.
  • Phantom has new cuttlefish shape/design which improves lateral tracking and stability when firing. Instinct is standard circular barrel.
  • Phantom is 100% sealed for 0% water entry, leading to constant ballast and maximum corrosion resistance
  • Phantom has new trigger mechanism, which is slightly more sensitive to pull, yet strong to afford Max power bands
  • Phantom includes two muzzles for divers personal preference
  • Phantom design also boasts an under-barrel recessed channel, concealing shooting line if using a reel. This minimizes vibration when moving through the water as well as minimizes line entanglement on the reef if laying on the bottom.
  • Phantom has a space for optional weight ballast on the muzzle. Allowing the spearfisher to optimize balance to their personal preference.
If you have specific questions please feel free to post. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

I looking to buy the phantom but don't know which one to buy, the carbon or fiber glass?? what is really the difference besides price?

I looking to buy the phantom but don't know which one to buy, the carbon or fiber glass?? what is really the difference besides price?

• Phantom Carbon has carbon fiber opposed to fiberglass resulting in the following
    • Absorbs vibration better reducing noise
    • Available sizes 75cm, 95cm, 110cm
    • Structurally a little more rigid
  • Phantom Carbon has the capacity to switch between two muzzles (included) single band or double band muzzle
  • Phantom Carbon uses a tacky material on grip and loading butt to prevent slippage
  • Carbon comes with tempered stainless 6.5mm shaft; Fiberglass comes with tempered stainless 6.0mm shaft
  • Fiberglass comes in 55cm, 75cm, 95cm, 110cm length.
Should you have any specific questions please feel free to forward. Hope this helps.

Best,

Hello there

i am interested in buying a Phantom Carbon 95cm . There is a roumor going around (and excuse me about reproducing it) that the speargun's tube is significanlty BENDING if used with two circular bands sametime. is that a true fact??
Is this happening due to the fact that instead of using full carbon fibers in the construction of the tube mares is using just trims of carbon , mixed with plastic-nylon trims???? thus not utilising the streangthening abilitties of carbon and making it even weaker than heavy aluminium (with integrated shaft driver) tubed spearguns?
Can you please make clear to me what is the double circular band load that the carbon edition of the gun can take??? so no bending issue appears. what does the manufacturer proposes concerning that issue???

thanks for your time

The gun is not rigid. It does have considerable flex and it is easy to flex over 1/2" in the middle of the gun just by holding one end and pushing the middle of the barrel with my hand. Does using two 16mm bands running the length of the gun cause it to flex? I do not know. I would have to try it out. I only have 19mm and 20mm bands for it though. I am hesitant to stretch two 20mm bands out of water to check it out and take pictures for you. I will have someone with more experience do it this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom