Mares Avanti Superchannel or Avanti Quattro Open Heel Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnunn04

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have pretty much decided on purchasing the Avanti Superchannels but have heard great things about the Quattro and wondering if they were worth the $30 or so increase in price.

Has anyone owned/dove with both pair (at different times, of course)?

In the last Rodales Scubalab fin competition, the Super Channel Full Foots scored higher than not only the Quattros, but ALL of them. They had the highest scores in the speed, thrust and slalom course. Even beat out the perenial champ Apollo Splits.............

I have both and dive both frequently. Which is best? Depends!
The superchannels are definitely nice fins. They fit me well. Footpockets are soft with no issues after a long week of diving. Efficient in the water as well, but more flexible for sure than my Quattro's. I love the superchannels for boat diving and warm water. Lighter than Quattros for traveling, twice as light without boots.
Quattros are stiffer. When you step on the gas they flat out go. And fit my rockboots well, even better with spring straps. I wear them when I dive dry and heavy. I have used more flexible fins and splits for diving dry, but have been unhappy with their performace.
My suggestion.... buy both. Dive Dive Dive.

I haven't tried the super's but the quattro's are a very good fin, I dive them in my doubles set up....they may be a DIR violation but I dont give a damn, I can frog kick much better with them and in the event you NEED the power they deliver. In the event of a wing failure they deliver enough for me to successfully swim steel lp95's off the bottom with zero air in my wing(7mm suit).

The one downside is I can't back kick with them well at all. Other than that they are a very solid fin.

I use my full foot super channels in warm water and I'm a big fan. Light and perform great, I can really get some immediate speed out of them with just a few quick kicks. Comfortable foot pockets and they're inexpensive, what more can you ask for?

Back
Top Bottom