Mares Abyss ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XNAVYEOD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I bought a regulator that is supposed to be the Mares Abyss..I have noticed on this forum that there are different models of this regulator.

How can I tell which one I have?

The first & second stage ser # are EE23228 And the alternate air source ser # is
OA1305E

I'm not familiar with Mares products, but it looks like everyone here is satisfied with them, and It seemed like a good deal..

Any information that you could share will be greatly appriciated..

Tim

I have added pictures if this helps?

Attachments

• 100_1315.jpg
    100_1315.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 154
  • 100_1316.jpg
    100_1316.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 228
MR22 Abyss.
Mares have been making the Abyss since the mid 90's.
Face plates on the 2nd's have changed.
1st stages have had some metal shaved from the outside and they've played around with the seats.
......but basically it's unchanged.
From the faceplate style and yoke knob I'd guess it's about 8-10 years old.
Very nice set, especially since it has the Abyss octo.

the EE is strange. like my proton ice extreme serial # is IE ice extreme my carbon 42 is CA, wife has a she dive proton SH, octos all start with O carbon octo OC, proton metal octo is OM and your abyss is OA. but can't help you on the model year but as mentioned the abyss changes where mostly looks not function.

The Mares second stages haven't changed drastically in a long time. While they have gotten smaller, the internals and function do not differ much. All of them are quite simple and have the VAD bypass tube.

The Voltrex, Orbiter and Abyss used the same second stage with a different face plate. Loved the look of the Ruby Abyss that Mares sold in the mid 90's. No worries, you have a solid regulator that will deliver consistently good performance at any depth.

C.

Thank all of you for your input..I will try to figure out the "EE" on the ser #

I didnt think it was a bad deal for $100.00

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom