Mares Abyss Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottkl

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok question here. I currently have a Mares Abyss Reg and Octo with I believe is the MR22 1st stage... Just had it overhauled about 6 months ago and have about 10-15 dives on it since then. Here is the Problem last dive had some problems with it again and what to know what you guys think it may be and if it is worth fixing again or should I move on to a new set up...... If you take 1 breath off of the Octo or the 2nd stage a small leak starts and does not stop until you turn the air off. I am taking it this is in the first stage since it is happening on both 2nd and octo does this sound like a HP seat? I know I just had a new one put in should it have cracked or gone this bad so quickly? Hope to hear from anyone soon. Now on a side note and recommendations on a new reg set up. Really liked this one and how it breathed but can not stand the problems much longer....

Scott

Scottkl:
Ok question here. I currently have a Mares Abyss Reg and Octo with I believe is the MR22 1st stage... Just had it overhauled about 6 months ago and have about 10-15 dives on it since then. Here is the Problem last dive had some problems with it again and what to know what you guys think it may be and if it is worth fixing again or should I move on to a new set up...... If you take 1 breath off of the Octo or the 2nd stage a small leak starts and does not stop until you turn the air off. I am taking it this is in the first stage since it is happening on both 2nd and octo does this sound like a HP seat? I know I just had a new one put in should it have cracked or gone this bad so quickly? Hope to hear from anyone soon. Now on a side note and recommendations on a new reg set up. Really liked this one and how it breathed but can not stand the problems much longer....

Scott

hi i have a abyss as well and do my own services
sounds like you have a high pressure creep
your intermediate pressure is set around 140 psi.
when the pressure rises above that set pressure it will bleed out the second stages
to check, put a low pressure gauge on the hose you attach to your bcd. power inflator.
it should read around 140
let the reg sit, if the pressure slowly increases on the gauge then it is a high pressure seat problem
it can be only the seat or orfice
the seats have been known to be defective {bad batch}
i had seats go after 1 dive
the silicone did not stick to the metal of the seat
other is the orfice, there might be a dent or crack in the sealing edge
mine is first generation, and the orfice was built into the body of the first stage and not replaceable
i have heard that they now have made it a replaceable part.
the reg it self is a high end product
i have added a enviromental chamber to mine for cold water
and has worked well for me in 32f. salt water to 180 feet with no problems.
the only things i did not like about the reg, was that when you had replaced the primary second stage hose you had to buy a special hose because the port hole was a different size.
second was the din wheel was not made strong enough, and kept breaking the metal around the o ring.
i would not get rid of it, unless it is first generation and the problem is the orfice
hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom