Mares ABS+ vs Mares Spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trying to pick between upgraded Mares ABS+ rubber strap buckles system and Mares Spring straps (stainless steel ends). Price difference is about $10 - anyone with experience with either? Thanks.

Get the springs. ABS+ has too many moving parts. I have springs on my Volo's and love them. Pull on, Pull off.

+1 for the springs/any springs.
The ABS is a pain in the butt when you have wet-soft skin after a long dive.
When the springs have a loop,just put your finger in and pull.works like a charm.

I have original ABS system on my Volos and those buckles are a major PITA to close and especially open while in the water but I thought ABS+ feature improved design?

Get the spring straps. I agree completely that the "patented" system is a major PITA. I don't know why companies don't sell their fins with spring straps at the outset. As for the new vs old, the difference is not enough to remove the major PITA characterization. Given that spring straps are so utterly simple in design and function, they should be far and away the first choice for anyone who can afford the extra cost.

After putting springs on my fins, frankly I wouldn't use a buckle ever again!

Easy, fast, and more secure. You won't be sorry.

I just put the Mares spring straps on my fins. The ABS+ is better than the ABS but it is still a hassle. The spring straps are so easy - especially with gloves on. The springs cost more but they are worth every penny.

XS Scuba manufactures a beautiful spring strap that theoretically should fit any fin. I don't know the Mares spring strap, but from previous experience with the Scubapro ones I have one advice: make sure that the spring strap uses metallic mounts with no "fast release". The Scubapro spring strap for Twinjet Max had the plastic fast release buckles, denying the advantage of the spring strap (I even had the buckle opening once in the water).

Back
Top Bottom