Mares 22 Abyss regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am in the market for a regulator. My first. I have a trip planned for late February and want to dive using my own equipment. I've done quite a bit of homework and like what I am reading about the Mares 22 Abyss. Ever since I read about the less dry air thing I kinda liked it. Not to mention a ton of other great features I've read.

Anyway, anything I should know about that regulator? Most of what I found on it seems pretty good.

My LDS however did his best to steer me form the line. His main point was parts availability. Has anyone had issues with parts on this or any Mares equipment?

Thanks in advance for your time and answers.

John
(some of you may recognize I posted/asked this in the basic area, I was advised to pose the question here to speak with Mares owners)

Excellent regulator, I still have a Titanium Abyss and a Ruby. I've never found MARES parts availability to be an issue.

If you have a GOOD Mares dealer, parts availability will be fine. mares USA give great service!

As far as the MR22 Abyss is concerned, the only bad thing I've read about it is that it is a bit heavier than the other regs of the Mares line. And in my books, that's not much of a fault!!:rofl3:

It's know as a dependable workhorse of a Reg. If ever I get into serious Tech diving, it will probably be my choice....

Cheers!:coffee:

Several years ago Mares seemed to have a problem stocking parts in the USA. In recent years they have expanded their parts and service support under Phil Mintz's guidance.

There has been no problem getting parts in the past few years. If your local LDS does not want to service your reg, ScubaToys will be more than happy to do it. When I've had them service my Mares regs, I've gotten 48 hr turnaround - ship it on Saturday (USPS Priority), have it back by Friday - and they have always come back tuned per factory specs.

Thanks all for the support. I will agree parts are NOT an issue. The Abyss is definitely one of the best regulators in the industry and you will not be disappointed. Thanks for your interest!

Happy diving!

Granted, five or so years ago, parts availability was a real issue. Since Phil took the helm, this is no longer a problem.

Greg Barlow

Hello fellow divers,
I just received my Abyss 22 Reg. & I have a question to ask you all; Phil & Zak, pls. feel free to chime in when either of you are able. Is this reg. suppose to come with the new Braided Flex hose connected to the 1st stage or was I sold an a prior year model Abyss 22 with a plain regular LP hose?

Hello fellow divers,
I just received my Abyss 22 Reg. & I have a question to ask you all; Phil & Zak, pls. feel free to chime in when either of you are able. Is this reg. suppose to come with the new Braided Flex hose connected to the 1st stage or was I sold an a prior year model Abyss 22 with a plain regular LP hose?

The new superflex hose will be considered a running change. I do not anticipate seeing them in the U.S. market until 2nd qtr 2009. This could be different for other countries. I'm sure the regulator you purchased is an 08 or prior model, and does not come with the hose. Have fun with your new reg!

Happy New Year,

Hi Zak,
I guess I got confused when I was looking through my 2009 Mares dive catalog when I placed my order. Very dangerous to have that at home. Thanks for setting things straight.

Huge Mares Fan,
Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom