March dive in Lake Superior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It was warm and sunny in Michigan's Upper Peninsula this past weekend, so a few of us decided to take a dip in the Harbor to cool off. After all, it was 50 degrees out. I was happy to see very little trash in the area that we chose, an area that we dive frequently and do our best to keep clean. This area along the park receives the most foot traffic and all the organized events take place near the bulkhead. The beer fests, fireworks and warm afternoon swimmers come here to enjoy the water, many of them leaving more than bubbles.

We did find a few tires that we missed during our second annual cleanup last July. To date we removed 8 tons of tires and garbage in our attempt to clean up our little portion of the world. I know that many tires remain once you wonder further into the harbor, The further away from the bulkhead the more we find and that is what we hope to address during our third annual cleanup on August 7th.

For those who travelled from Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin, thank you. You probably already know that there will be a 3rd annual cleanup of Marquette's Lower Harbor. Like last year, we will have refreshments and what little rewards we can offer. Last year each diver received a T-shirt, Trident collection bag and local food items. I've already begun to reach out to the generous business owners who showed their appreciation for your efforts last year. This year we have a new challenge though.

For our last two cleanups, the first in August of 2019 and the second in July of 2020, the local Fire Dept. was generous enough to fill tanks in advance of the event. They even topped off tanks for participants who were able to leave them until the next day. Many did. Unfortunately, due to Covid and liability concerns, they have decided not to fill the tanks for the public going forward. I wish this wasn't the case but respect their decision. That's won't be a problem for the many divers who brought their own gear, but it will create challenges for the divers who prepare for the event and for divers who do not own tanks or a compressor. Marquette has not had a dive shop in over a decade. I'm hoping to change that in the near future.

I have started to look into fundraising ideas to obtain a compressor. One that can be owned by a club. Many folks have reached out to me and some money is already in the bank, but I'm looking for ideas and would like to know of any obstacles that may be in my path. Please share your thoughts and experiences.

I had a little fun with my video this time around. Have a look if you're so inclined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom