March 6-7, 2009 Quadra Island trip reports/photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you've outdone yourself Mark. That sea-monster at Steep Island looks suspiciously like an Ogre I know. I'd also add a word of caution about shore diving Whiskey Point, one of my early attempts is logged as 18 minutes of concentrating on staying alive. Defineatly the most advanced shore dive I know of.

Whiskey Point, one of my favorite dives. Haven't been there in a long time. On the start of a flood tide (current flowing south) there is a spot at the top of one of the walls where you can lay in a bit of a back eddy, and the water comes up the cliff face and swirls over top of you. If you are up a bit further north sometime, Rock Bay is a nice shore dive, not too much current in the bay.

Thanks for the great report and the awesome pictures. My hat/hood goes off to you...

The weather and the currents were in our favour.
After looking at the pictures, I remembered something.
If you are diving in Discovery Pass..."a good to have" is a SMB and spool...open water ascents can be common in the current. And as a few people found out last weekend the current makes a constant depth safety stop almost impossible. Also its a heck of alot easier for the skipper the see you for pick up.

Thanks again.

U/O

Nice to see some wide angle shots of the area. Thanks for the pics.

Sunday was great, the vis wasn't quite as good. We did Richmond again and then a little known wreck. I think everyone had a great time.

U/O

Current was ripping on the surface at Richmond reef but barely enough to avoid finning at depth. Bill from Pacific Pro Dive knows his tides. Second dive on the wreck was very cool. Lots of big healthy Quill backs, some visibly near spawning. More Puget Sound crabs than I've ever seen on a single dive. I've forgotten the name of the wreck but there's a plaque beside it that says it burned to the waterline in 1906 and sank in 90' near Steep Island. Discovered by Phil Nyuten and two others who's names escape me. Perhaps someone who wasn't narced has more accurate info.

Back
Top Bottom