March 28 Bohol pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Still using the internal strobe or custom/underwater white balance on the non-strobe shots.
I definetly need an external strobe for this G10.

As for ordering a strobe on eBay with nyxel in Hong Kong as some Scubaboarders have done, I tried three separate times to ask them a shipping question and have not received a reply as of yet?

As for importing a strobe into the Philippines you have to pay a 3% import fee on the price (including the shipping price) then a 12% VAT (Value Added tax) on top of that.

angelfish.jpg

leaf.jpg

lion.jpg

mantis.jpg

pipefish.jpg

banca.jpg

Your photos are very nice. What type of strobe are you considering buying? I have a lot of Filipino customers and a Filipino employee who frequently buy cameras to take home to their families. If you know someone working in Cayman, they can purchase a strobe here and bring it to you. We can set it up with a fiber optic cable and a tray and arm. This may get too complicated, but I just thought I would try to help you if possible.

Your photos are very nice. What type of strobe are you considering buying? I have a lot of Filipino customers and a Filipino employee who frequently buy cameras to take home to their families. If you know someone working in Cayman, they can purchase a strobe here and bring it to you. We can set it up with a fiber optic cable and a tray and arm. This may get too complicated, but I just thought I would try to help you if possible.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos and for your offer to help out. I don't know anyone working on Grand Cayman and it likely would get too complicated.

If I can't get a strobe sent here I'll just wait for my next trip back to my other home in Hawaii and order it there.

I'm torn between the Sea & Sea YS-110 alpha and the YS-27DX. I love having the aiming/focus light but I'm not sure the price of the 110 is worth it to me since I use manual mode all the time on the camera and using the manual settings on the 27DX is not a problem for me. I also like the small size of the 27DX.

Haha the fourth picture is kinda freaky :)

Thanks for the above water photo too. It is always fun to see what other cultures use in their daily routines.

Well, ......Cathy lives in Grand Cayman :>)

The usual lovely shots. I always enjoy your topside pics for the local color as well. Good luck with your strobe order. I've had really good luck with my YS110, but I use it strictly in ttl with Nikonos type cord. I use the aiming light instead of a dive light, as I find it a pain to carry one while I've got the camera in the other hand. OTOH, if I could afford it, I'd go for one of those nice double adjustable fisheye spotting lights. I've got the little $59 version and it works quite nicely, the power and spread of the $500 version is amazing. I use mine with the shoe on top of the housing. They have a nice little slide in mount that goes with it. I used to have a UK mini on the loc-line like you're planning, but unlike the fisheye it didn't shut off on the preflash and had a tendency to hotspot.

The usual lovely shots. I always enjoy your topside pics for the local color as well. Good luck with your strobe order. I've had really good luck with my YS110, but I use it strictly in ttl with Nikonos type cord. I use the aiming light instead of a dive light, as I find it a pain to carry one while I've got the camera in the other hand. OTOH, if I could afford it, I'd go for one of those nice double adjustable fisheye spotting lights. I've got the little $59 version and it works quite nicely, the power and spread of the $500 version is amazing. I use mine with the shoe on top of the housing. They have a nice little slide in mount that goes with it. I used to have a UK mini on the loc-line like you're planning, but unlike the fisheye it didn't shut off on the preflash and had a tendency to hotspot.

I ordered a YS-27DX. I think it will be fine for me as I use manual settings all the time so I won't mind setting the strobe as well. Once I find the sweet spots it's a lot easier. I just didn't want to spend the extra money on the 110 alpha since I won;t be using the TTL cord like you. I will miss the aiming/focus light but the Fisheye light may just do the job. I am just a cheapskate as you could tell from my using a C4000Z for so many years :D
Gotta stretch that police pension a long way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom