Marblehead Lighthouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin'dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone dove the lighthouse (Chandler Park) in Marblehead recently or within the last post from last yr? I read all the backposts... Thinking of trying it. How is it for lobsters? Also heard there's some boat traffic. If I stay away from the harbor mouth and go to the right side, is there reasonably less traffic? What's a good spot to enter and exit?

I've never dove there, but I grew up sailing in Marblehead so I can speak to the boat traffic. There is lots of it and because its a steep drop off, boats come very close to the shore there. You'll get less traffic staying to the right side but realistically you'll still have overhead traffic once you're in 20'+. Although the channel markers are far from shore, those are simply a suggestion to guide deep draft boat, nobody follows the channels around there unless they're the captain of a big vessel. Also there is a diving ban there on weekends in the summer, and honestly given the boat traffic I wouldn't try myself anyway on a weekend, however I'd love to get out there on a weekday or late/early season sometime. MIT Scuba Club

Chandler Hovey is a good dive. I dive it often but only in the winter. Besides for the non-stop boat traffic, visibility is usually pretty crappy there. There are lobsters but there are far better places to dive for them. The park itself is very nice, it's looks out over the sound and the views are worth checking out. Entry and exit is easy in the little cove right next to the light. It's also a very good place to launch a kayak.

Thanks guys! Sure is nice to get a heads up on some places I'm thinking about. Appreciate the advice.

Not sure if I want to dive with all the boats coming in an out... You're always wondering who's overhead and boats tend to stir up the vis.

note there is a diving ban in effect at this beach on weekends from May 1 to November
1. I usually only here in the winter time. Even on a weekday there is way too much boat traffic here to make it a safe dive in my opionion. Even in winter the vis isn't great, but it is a great dive site...

Thanks mmerriman. I was thinking of going on a Fri... so should not be banned. But with the amount of boat traffic, I'm having second thoughts. Would going on a weekday be that much better? What is it that you like about the site?

personally I'd avoid friday - a lot of folks start their weekends early. Another day might be better. The entry is pretty easy assuming its calm. I think the bottom reminds me of Old Garden Beach. I do know some folks that launch kayaks from here and head over to Children's island to dive - you've got 2 benefits that way - you're not in the channel, and you've got a much migger flag/float.

I'm starting to wonder about diving there. Anyone ever see any scallops off Chandler?

i have not, but the main channel in salem sound is a great scalloping spot - unfortunately its the main channel so scalloping here in boating season is not a good idea.

note there is a diving ban in effect at this beach on weekends from May 1 to November 1. I usually only here in the winter time...

Where is this posted? Perhaps this is just a rumor...

I dove there 2 weeks ago. Saw a couple of huge fish 40'' (no idea what they were) and got 2 keeper lobsters. as for boats - just stay near the rocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom