Maraposa Apo reef trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingdog5

Registered
Reaction score
apo reef with maraposa dive center was a big disaster .
4 of us booked rooms, two couples we called before we got there and was told just turn up the budget rooms i thought. which we called and booked two days before . they were were bookd insted we were up graded to a 2700 peso room for the first night so we decided to stay on the main land .. be care full when told just turn up hay.
strange as well that people had to move from budget rooms to more expensive ones even though the budget rooms remained empty the nights poeple moved.

of so we arived the next day now please rember that its a
private island so we all thought that we would pay a prieum for the diving . with your own stuff it was only 1000 pesos which was ok .the shop wanted a check dive if you are less than a dive master so if you have 1000 dives and your kit is still wet you have to do a check dive no gripes there but the dm did not do any skills just off he went ????

the next day we opted to do an overnight trip 7 dives pluss 78 us fuel charge per person . the bot ride was 2 hours and 1500peso park fee ok i thought lets do some diving .i asked for a 15 lt lank i push around a big camera they charged me an extra 2 us for the rental strange i thought . they said if evey one wanted one we would have to supply it ? there are two in the shop....no were else in the world this has happned but again paying a price on a private island and all that.

so after dive two the compressor started at this point i knew some thing was wrong as the air was very smelly i asked the dm to change the fiter and asked to see the compressor log which they could not find ????.a big problem we all know the dangers of bad air so we missed the next two dives untill the pipe work was flushed, that evening i asked if the boat could move to see apo reef not just the island were the light house was . each dive was ment to be around this island so ther for no reef the dm said to me he does not like me as i ask too many questions with this i was shoked and asked him to explain were we ere diving instad of ok lets jump in and follow me .actually i dont blame him it must of been the shos policy .

in the end however the boat took us out on the reef and we saw shark ridge amaing wall full of life sharks turtles ..why did the not take us ther before i thought . fuel? the last dive was called shark incounter the boat missed the bouy drifted off and the dive master told us lets go a complete waste of time :confused:

when i got back i asked to see the compresor log they said they lost it so i asked how did you fill the tanks we were diving with .i was told we all make mistakes .......... we in diving sure some times mistakes are made ive made a few for sure but under no surcamstances a shop should never make a mistake with the quality of air it supplys its patrons its just plain dangerous .:no

i dont do this very often but it was dangerous i will not recomend this shop to any one i will say that we were on the big boat the other groups were on the small boat there air was good but still the same sites and nothing to see

sorry guys a big big thumbs down .

and they made us pay for the rooms while we on there overnight on the boat ?

the food was good though but i did not come for the food i came for the diving not dining

i hope some one sets up a dive opperation ther and blows them out of the water .

i now have to get my apex reg serviced a reall kick in the nuts to end the trip....:no:no

ps in a padi bsac instructor i also hold tdi and iantd tec cards i know what i am talking about

Do you mean Apo Reef, or Apo Island?

Yes Caloy and Hank, I think it is Pandan Island and Mariposa dive shop there near Apo Reef.

I particularly didn't like the fact that they double booked the rooms on you. They should have delivered what they said they would and if not, they should have charged you the same price of a budget room for the upgrade. Where did you end up staying on the mainland?

No skills during a check out dive is normal. It means they think you're good enough to bypass it - take it as a compliment. :) I've never had to do any skills during a "checkout" dive. Also it's the norm for diveshops to charge extra for a larger tank. The ones that don't charge extra are awesome.

It takes a lot for a DM to say straight out they "don't like you". Congrats. haha. :D

Did you dive around Pandan Island? How was it? Similar to Apo Reef? I do agree that P1000/dive is a decent price for a private island.

they should have charged you the same price of a budget room for the upgrade.

I agree.This happened to me in Boracay...the tenants who were staying in our rooms decided on overstaying. We got bumped up to a bigger room with a US$30 difference(our rooms were $120 the bigger rooms were $150), for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom