Mar. 28, 2015 Ogden Point breakwater video:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looks like another great dive .. diving BC is on my soon to do wish list, this year or next
thanks for posting all your vids
i enjoy clicking on the western canada link to watch them
be nice if you posted water temps

looks like another great dive .. diving BC is on my soon to do wish list, this year or next
thanks for posting all your vids
i enjoy clicking on the western canada link to watch them
be nice if you posted water temps
Water temps in the Strait of Juan de Fuca are around 6-8 degrees in the winter and 10-13 in the Summer.

Balmy. I sometimes like to take a quick dive in the ocean just to warm up after a lake dive :)
Yeah, we tend to think of local Vancouver Island diving as "cold" water, but it's nothing compared to the Arctic, frozen lakes or the East Coast. I remember diving in Halifax in Feb. The water temp was -1 degree and the seawater would freeze to my suit when I left the water. The surface of the ocean was slush in places. I could only handle 20-minute dives. Sometimes the water temp in Saanich Inlet can be near zero in the shallows (sometimes parts of it are frozen over), but below 30' or so the temp is usually around 6 degrees.
Of course California divers consider the water there to be cold water and I was fine there with a baggy, one-piece wetsuit.
-Same with Southern Australia. They told me the water was cold and that I should wear a hood so they handed me a spandex beanie with a velcro strap under the chin. The water temp was around 19 degrees.
I've never been in the local fresh water in the winter (I always go May-July) and it's pretty warm (maybe 15 degrees). How cold does Cultus Lake get in the winter?

I've hit 37-39F that I remember several times and have been in it when the surface was beginning to freeze over. Lake of the Woods up past Hope drops to the mid 30's. I was only half fooling about the ocean. Sometimes doing Porteau or Whytecliffe in the summer the water really does feel warm. Probably the greatest variant is Pavilion Lake in summer. I do the upper levels in an old 2mm one piece but when I drop through the thermocline the temp goes from 70's or mid 60's to 41 in one foot. I can do about ten minutes or so and then need to climb up to 30 feet to rethermalize.

Here's a video I made in the summer. What is happening between :52-1:42 is that I am following flow from cold underwater springs that empty into the upper thermocline (warm) and, due to the nature of water, travels downward. The small tributaries join into one larger underwater body of cold water that flows downward like a waterfall until it hits the colder thermocline and stops.

[video=youtube;L53TdKxrGkk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53TdKxrGkk[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom