Manual White Balance when shooting in RAW mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhelmuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can anyone cofirm the you can set the WB on an Oly C5050 when shooting in RAW mode? Would this make sense to you? I am a bit of a novice, but like the versatility that RAW mode provides when using PhotoShop CS. If I could change one thing, it would be to practice using WB so that the color correction would be as minimal as possible.

I thought the reason to shoot in RAW mode was in order to do all the adjustments yourself in PS CS? I can't answer you question since I've never tried it.

jhelmuth:
Can anyone cofirm the you can set the WB on an Oly C5050 when shooting in RAW mode? Would this make sense to you? I am a bit of a novice, but like the versatility that RAW mode provides when using PhotoShop CS. If I could change one thing, it would be to practice using WB so that the color correction would be as minimal as possible.
You adjust the white balance after the picture is taken by using the Adobe RAW Convertor. So leave the WB on Auto when shooting in RAW.
When shooting in JPEG the WB info is applied by the camera to the RAW image and saved as a JPEG. Thus manual WB could benefit your picture when shooting in JPEG format.

ReyeR:
You adjust the white balance after the picture is taken by using the Adobe RAW Convertor. So leave the WB on Auto when shooting in RAW.
When shooting in JPEG the WB info is applied by the camera to the RAW image and saved as a JPEG. Thus manual WB could benefit your picture when shooting in JPEG format.

I think what he wants is to set the white balance setting so that the 'As Shot' setting in Adobe Raw is as close as possible to the desired result. I would think that you could manually white balance at depth, and then 'As Shot' would require minimal correction.

I think manually white balancing would be the only decent way to do this. None of the standard white balance settings are likely to be correct, though Auto is what I would use.

mandrake:
I think what he wants is to set the white balance setting so that the 'As Shot' setting in Adobe Raw is as close as possible to the desired result. I would think that you could manually white balance at depth, and then 'As Shot' would require minimal correction.

I think manually white balancing would be the only decent way to do this. None of the standard white balance settings are likely to be correct, though Auto is what I would use.

By George - I think he's got it! :11:

Seriously though, you are correct. And I really don't know if this would actually work or not - but if someone does know, it will save me either a lot of frustration, or some learning.
I appreciate all who have answered. There are no bad replies to this question...

I just checked, and yes you can set the white balance in RAW mode. All of the manual and pre-programmed white balance settings are available in RAW mode.

azisme:
I just checked, and yes you can set the white balance in RAW mode. All of the manual and pre-programmed white balance settings are available in RAW mode.

I've posted this once before, I think on DigitalDiver: I'd love to know what color temperature settings you end up with if you manually white balance and then take a RAW mode shot and select 'As Shot'. The reason I ask is that when I've taken RAW ambient-light shots in the Caribbean (blue-water) and tried to find the most pleasing color temp in the RAW converter, I always end up with a VERY high temp (between 15000 and 25000 frequently). I'm curious whether 'As Shot' would yield something this high for a manually white-balanced shot. I never heard a reply from someone who had done it.

mandrake:
I've posted this once before, I think on DigitalDiver: I'd love to know what color temperature settings you end up with if you manually white balance and then take a RAW mode shot and select 'As Shot'. The reason I ask is that when I've taken RAW ambient-light shots in the Caribbean (blue-water) and tried to find the most pleasing color temp in the RAW converter, I always end up with a VERY high temp (between 15000 and 25000 frequently). I'm curious whether 'As Shot' would yield something this high for a manually white-balanced shot. I never heard a reply from someone who had done it.

Well... you probably will soon. I'm going to try it on my next trip to the keys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom