Manifolding sidemounts????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRUETEXAN

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering why someone couldn't make an isolator manifold out of flexible stainless steel hose, such as the type used on aircraft and race cars, and put the isolator valve in the middle, din hook ups on the ends and sling it under your belly or across your back, as long as you could reach the valve why wouldn't this work??

I think it has to do with the confined spaces they are diving and the need to push tanks through tight areas. Having the tanks manifolded wouldnt allow you to push through small restrictions as you would have to push both side mounts through if they are connected with a manifold.

Andy
my 2 cents

But I am talking about using flexible stainless steel hose, it would be plenty flexible to allow you to push your tanks through end to end if the hose was long enough. Oh well, it was just a thought I had.

Why on earth would you want a manifold when sidemounting?
One of the main reasons for sidemount is to have two totally redundant systems. Reg switching is a very simple thing to do, you just breathe off of one reg for a while, then breathe off the other reg for a while.(It's only slightly more complicated than this.
Why add failure points?

TT

I think IMHO that having two independant tanks allows you to push through smaller restrictions. If they are manifolded then you have to push them both through. its twice as much work so to speak.

I have never seen a set of side mounts up close so im not really sure about the specifics of the mounting. IF someone out there does know why they are independant share with us please.

Andy

the side mounts are an interesting configuration

Sidemount diving is a hoot, especially if you like tight spaces. I'm starting to sidemount more and more, about 1/2 the time. I can't see any reason to manifold the two tanks though.

Don't think it would work, I haven't seen SS steel hose (or anything else) that could handle 3000psi and still be flexible enough not to be a pain in the ass and totally defeat the whole idea of sidemount anyway. Like Diversherpa said it would defeat the purpose. Not that I know anything (ok, a very little) about sidemount.

DSAO!!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom