Mandatory Passports coming by years end!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikswi

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading the June 2005 issue of "Dive Training" and on page 16 there is an article about how Passports will be REQUIRED for any travel to the Carribean after DEC 31 2005 and after 2006, one will be required for ANY travel outside the U.S.A. I Copied the article below for those of you that are intrested.

Dive Observer By Gene Gentrup

PACK A PASSPORT

New law extends to all travelers leaving U.S.

If you're planning a dive trip to the Caribbean next year, you'll need a passport, regardless of your destination. That's according to a new U.S. law designed to help secure the nation's borders.

Currently a driver's license or a birth certificate is enough to get you back into the United States and into dive destinations like Grand Cayman and the Bahamas.

Requiring passports improves border security because they are not as easily counterfeited as documents such as birth certificates, the U.S. government says.

The law signed late last year by President Bush will be enforced in three phases:
  • Beginning December 31, 2005, a passport will be required for all travelers entering or re-entering the United States from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America. Central America includes the dive destinations of Belize, Honduras, and Costa Rica.
  • By December 31, 2006, the requirement will extend to all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.
  • It will apply to all air, sea and land border crossings by December 31, 2007.
Called the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, the new law was drafted in accordance with The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA, also known as the 9/11 Intelligence Bill).

Right now U.S. citizens are not required to present a passport to enter or re-enter the United States when traveling within the Western Hemisphere, which includes North America, South America, Central America, Latin America, the West Indies, and the Caribbean.

With the new law, the number of new passports issued is expected to surge. The U.S. government issued or renewed more than 8.8 million U.S. passports in fiscal 2004, a 21 percent increase over 2000, which was followed by two years of declines in international travel. The 2003 figures rebounded to just above the 2000 level.

Expecting a wave of passport requests, the U.S. government encourages travelers needing a passport to apply early. Processing usually takes six to eight weeks.

A new adult passport costs $97, which includes a $12 security surcharge added in March and a $30 execution fee paid to the "acceptance facility" processing the application.

You cannot apply for a passport online but the State Department's Web site provides application forms that can be downloaded or printed, saving a trip to a passport office. Renewing a passport can be done online and is strongly encouraged. To do so, complete form DS-82, which can be downloaded from the State Department Web site, www.travel.state.gov/passport; enclose your most recent passport, two identical passport photos, and the passport renewal fee of $67; and send all items to the National Passport Center in Pittsburgh.

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum. Can a mod move it to "General Travel & Vacation Discussions " or maybe something more suited?

K........well, I was intrested by this........even if no One else was :eek:)

yeah, i'd seen the news

doesn't bother me 'cause i already have a passport :crafty:

(how do you gracefully say, "nyah-nah-nyah-nyah-nah"?)

We're in the same shape as H2Andy - we have until 2011 before we need to renew our passports. Anyone who doesn't currently have one and is considering international travel should strongly think of this though.

Frankly, I was always somewhat surprised at the number of nations the USA doesn't share a border with that not having a passport has been OK, either for entry there or re-entry into the USA. I used to go to Mexico on occasion when I lived in South Texas, usually with just a drivers' license years ago.

And, places like Belize and Honduras already require passports - so not every country in Latin America / Central America / South America - wherever the moderators place those countries - are affected.

WarmWaterDiver:
Frankly, I was always somewhat surprised at the number of nations the USA doesn't share a border with that not having a passport has been OK, either for entry there or re-entry into the USA.

Most Americans (US Citizens) don't have a Passport. Most of them rarely travel out of the country. Only 15% to 23% of Americans have a Passport. (Percentage range based on different reports).

The reason though that a large number of nations, especially in the Caribbean area, don't require them of US citizens is for economic/financial reasons. They want to make it as easy as possible for American tourists to enter the Caribbean vacation islands and spend money. If they restrict travel to those with passports, then the people will simply go to another island that didn't restrict them.

You are correct though, so Latin America countries do require a passport of US Citizens. Some even require a Visa also before entry.

We've been traveling with passports since about 2000, and can't imagine going without one now....even for domestic travel. It makes getting through the airport sooo much easier, and frankly with all the ID theft going on, the idea of carrying a certified copy of my birth certificate gives me the willies!

I always have my passport with me when I leave the country, even if the country I'm going to doesn't require it. It's a big world with lots of great places to visit. Get a passport and go see them.

WarmWaterDiver:
so not every country in Latin America / Central America / South America - wherever the moderators place
those countries - are affected.

you're lucky they didn't put Jamaica in France (because they thought Bob
Marley came from French Town)

that was a fight and a half... ("it's TRENCH Town, Guys...")

Hmmm, how they going to handle the pod people (cruise ship passengers). Wonder if they will need passports to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom