Manatees March 2019 - where, when and with whom should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topper1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
End of February/beginning of March 2019 I have 8-10 days in Florida before I am going on a 2x10 day liveaboard in the Bahamas and Bimini with the Bahamas Master.

I like dugongs, so I am very much considering paying their American cousins the manatees a visit.

Would end of February/beginning of March be a good time to go swim/snorkel with the manatees in Florida?
You cannot dive with the manatees, correct? Only snorkelling/swimming is possible, correct?
Crystal River on the Caribbean side of Florida is the place to go, correct?
With whom should I go?

I have 8-10 days in Florida before I have to fly to Freeport in the Bahamas for my liveaboards....so I figure that I would like to try swim/snorkel 2-3 days with the manatees, visit Cape Canaveral and perhaps visit the Everglades.
Are there any other aquatic or wildlife activities I should consider doing when in Florida?

I will be travelling on my own.

Re diving with manatees... you can scuba dive in Krystal river, king spring. It would not be totally unusual for a manatee to swim up close to you. The main point here is you can get fined if you are caught harassing, or chasing the manatees, or going into any marked restricted area. Sister spring is nearby, and seems to be a favorite place for manatee congregation, but I am not aware of anyone who will take you diving in there.

I also suggest you check out Blue Heron Bridge. We saw a pair of Manatee swim by us there, and I know of one other diver that saw manatees there on a separate date.

Thanks for the great advice, Caveeagle and Marie13!

So, it is worth spending a few days in or near Crystal River...there is both snorkling with the manatees and some decent diving to be had?

I already have a scuba selfie with a dugong...it could be nice having one with a manatee, too ;-)

892672_10203917581844621_3369422402707255360_o.jpg

Just an FYI, but nobody is probably going to promise you that you can “snorkel or dive” with a manatee. It is illegal to harass, chase or otherwise molest a manatee. It’s also not ok to go into any of the marked manatee protection areas. Having said that... if you are scuba diving in the non protected area of King Spring (Crystal River) and a manatee should happen by, you are good to go. Just don’t get caught feeding or riding them. I can tell of one time I was just snorkeling from a rented Jon boat and got a big surprise when a manatee nearly surfaces right under me. Also had a little baby one swim right up to my face while mama watched from a distance.

No guarantees... I can tell you to try to get there early. The colder the water, the more they will congregate near the springs to stay warm.

I will add another thumbs up for Birds, if anyone will put you on them, they will.
I find it a little funny that they are worried about US harassing them, I have had more than one come up to me and pretty much insist I pet and scratch them. It's common for them to bring young right up to you. Don't get me wrong, I don't support actually harassing any wildlife but when it makes a direct path to you, gets in your face and insist on being petted like a big friendly dog, its debatable who is harassing who. :)

Crystal River on the Caribbean side of Florida is the place to go, correct?

Just a clarification: Crystal River is on the west or Gulf of Mexico side of Florida. We did the snorkeling tour with some company. Can't really remember the time of year we were there (other than the temps were pretty cool), but the water was murky except some shallower areas closer to a shoreline, which was where we saw quite a few manatees. They were pretty friendly swimming around us.

I've been out with American Pro in the past. They have a combined snorkel and dive, you start with a manatee snorkel in the Crystal River followed by a dive into the Kings cavern. Like others have suggested, if a manatee happens to pass you while you are coming out of the cavern, its pretty cool. I exited the cavern super slow and saw multiple manatees swimming around while looking up.

Thanks everyone for your advice!!! :-D
I just e-mailed Bird's Underwater Dive Center to make me an offer for 6-day combined diving + snorkling with manatees package February 28 - March 5.
Do you think that a 6-day package would be enough days to make it relatively assured that I get to see manatees?
I could extend to a 8-day package....I have time enough for that.
I also asked Bird's to suggest accomodation in Crystal River (the town...not in the river ;-) ) to me....has anyone of you guys stayed in Crystal River and have recommendations for a specific hotel or guest house?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom