Managing photos with an Ipad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm thinking of bringing an Ipad rather than a laptop to reduce weight and take up less space. The problem I have is I know next to nothing about Ipads.

I have found there is a SD card reader that makes it easy to move pictures onto the Ipad. But the guy I talked with at Best Buy said there's no easy way to move the pics from the Ipad back onto an SD card (or flash drive, or whatever.)

Do we have any Ipad experts that can either confirm the Ipad is NOT a good choice or is willing to teach a newby how to manage files?

Should I just lug the laptop along instead of the Ipad?

Thanks!

If you want to get your pictures out of the camera or off the SD card and into the iPad, the Camera Connection Kit will do everything you need. Right from the Photos application, you can group pictures into albums, do simple edits like cropping, fix redeye, enhance exposure, etc. For finer adjustments or more complex edits, you can download the iPhoto app for iOS for $5.

As for getting the pictures off of the iPad, as long as you have a data connection you can easily upload them to Photo Stream on your iCloud account, automatically or manually. You can also just leave the pictures on your iPad until you get home, and then connect your iPad to your Mac or PC to sync back the pictures to iPhoto or whatever other photo album program you may be using. Easy peasy.

The trick, really, is to not get too caught up in "managing files" on the iPad. Move the photos from your camera to the iPad, organize them into albums if you'd like, then upload them to your Photo Stream or download them to your Mac or PC. If you don't already have an iPad and will be taking/organizing a lot of pictures, it's probably worth springing for the 32 GB or 64 GB model.

People are always surprised at how great pictures look on the new iPad with the retina display, and it's a great way to share your pictures with friends around a table, etc. Much better IMO than passing around a laptop.

HTH

Thanks John_B, that is exactly what I was wanting to know.

It sounds like, from your post, the Ipad will do everything I want to do with the camera connection kit. Viewing and transporting the files is the main thing I want to do. Organizing the files is really kind of secondary, I can do that when I get home on platform I'm a little more comfortable with.

But I'm going to have to do a little learning I guess!

Thanks for your input, kind sir!

I concur with the above. Basically use the ipad as a viewer of the pics but don't delete them fro your card. When you get home download the pics from your cards to your computer.
Also if you shoot raw it can clog up the ipad a little. Shoot a small or medium size j-peg along with the raw and just. Unfortunately there is no easy way to only import the j-pegs.

+1 for whats already been mentioned.

I like snapseed for editing. wish there was a video editing app that could do color correction on the ipad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom