Managed Depression, Alchoholism in Recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brizzolatti

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, guys. I am a newbie, in fact a pre newbie because I haven't even learned to dive yet. However, I have always had a hankering. I am a strong swimmer and enjoy being under. I live in a cold climate but will be visiting Mauritius in a while and thought this would be the ideal place to dive. I thought I would learn before I travel and have done a bit of research. However, in my readings, I see that depression and alcoholism might mean I would be barred from learning. I am on SSRI antidepressants which control my depression - so it is managed and I lead a normal life in the sense I have no symptoms. I am an alcholic but in recovery (ie I do not drink).

From your experiences, would PADI dive schools etc reject me as a candidate if I declared these issues?

Thanks for your insights.

Hello,

First welcome!

I called DAN on this issue in the past. What I was advised was to NOT dive while on SSRI's. The reason was no due to medication but due to the underlying health issues like suicidal and the like. What the scuba shops (being the medical clueless wonders that they are) will probably do is ask you to get clearance thru your regular doctor and thru DAN. Which is never a bad idea for any condition.

I personal know people who have dove while taking certain types of ssri's. The had clearance from their doc and DAN. We had no problems durring those dives. If you look in the archives you will find a few post dealing with this. I do know that some drugs are nasty and some are safe. I do not have the medical training to say which are good and which are bad. I'll leave that up to the doc's :wink:

Alcohol and diving is a definate NO-NO. It tends to dry out the body and set up all sorts of nasties.

Here is some results that I found.

http://www.scubaboard.com/search.ph...id=15061&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

http://www.scubaboard.com/search.ph...id=15039&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

I saved the best for last! We can't forget this post

http://www.scuba-doc.com/psych.htm

Ed

First off, congrats on your successful recovery!

Fortunately the understanding of mental health problems has come out of the dark ages into at least the middle ages . My favorite buddy had the same issues and had no problem with PADI, including when he began their professional level courses although he was asked, as blacknet suggested, to get medical clearance.

Since there is still so much we do not know about different medications, there may be something to discuss with your doc there, but I doubt you will have any trouble finding a PADI class if your doc agrees you are in good shape.

Best of luck

brizzolatti,Sobriety date is 8-18-1987.Have a lot of friends in Fla diving on meds from A-Z .Best to get specifics from DAN,your docs and the drug manufacturer.Have never heard of any adverse reactions but........better safe than sorry.

my sobriety date is 10-12-89. I agree, with those who said, check with DAN and your Doctor.

Glad you're here. keep us posted. :)

Thanks so far for the encouraging replies - I didn't think I would be unique out there!!

This is a truly great and informative site which I'm really enjoying reading in preparation for learning to dive. I'll keep you posted!

This topic is one of my pet peeves. I am a Psychologist and I try as hard as I can with depressed clients to get them to do things they enjoy. One of the main reasons for some kinds of depression is not having any meaningful activities or goals. If one of my clients wanted to take up diving, I'd encourage them as hard as I could. There is no evidence that SSRI's could hurt you while diving, and most depressed persons are not suicidal, only a small minority, and if they are suicidal, they can certainly find a way to kill themselves without signing up for a diving course, getting their gear together, going out on a boat, and drowning themselves!

Jeez!

DAN is very conservative and gives lots of generic advice. I would never say not to trust it but you have to keep in mind that they are going to discourage someone from diving if there is even a theoretical risk involved. Like the recently discussed topic of diabetes, DAN gave it as a prohibition to diving for years, then found out that a lot of diabetics were diving, then decided to study Diabetes and diving, and the guidelines now appear to be changing. The theoretical risk of diving with diabetes is turning out to be very rare, and they are reconsidering their opinion. Meantime, many persons with diabetes have been told that they couldn't dive.

Ernest Campbell, Scubadoc, repeated this advice about Depressed persons not diving, and I emailed him about it. I don't feel that it would be appropriate for me to try to say exactly what he told me, but I feel it is safe to say that he agreed that this should be evaluated on a case by case basis.

If you want to dive, dive. Your physician that prescribes your SSRI's will probably sign you off with no problems, as long as you're not suicidal, and if you are suicidal, you probably wouldn't be posting on a scuba forum.

Jeez.

And about Alcoholism, you will find that there are many, many, recovering persons diving. No reason not too. I routinely cave dive with several persons with a sobriety date.

Thanks for the question

Dave

... on both the sobriety and coping with depression!

Now first step - see your doctor.

Second step - get out here with the rest of us and start exploring this great wet world!

Welcome and Good Luck!

Scuba-sass

Find a good compasionate doc and have them sign the waiver. Taking meds does not exclude you it just means you need to get a doc to sign off. If your doc won't agree, find one that will. Depression is so misunderstood even by MD's. As far as recoving from the booze, welcome! I got sober 10/8/89.

Good luck and keep at it!

Scott:)

Dear brizzolatti:

As far as the alcohol goes, I have recommended on several occasions that diving is serious business. It is not time to go out on a boat for a “bar fest.” Many do, however, and some get hurt.

It is not exactly a harmless liquid, and for many it is poison. I am sure that you will greatly enjoy yourself in a sober state.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom