Trip Report Malta Wreck Diving (June 2022)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Below is a link to my detailed overall trip report for Malta technical wreck diving. It is an amazing location for deep wrecks with a fantastic history. Unfortunately, I got Covid halfway through my trip but I was still able to do 7 dives in 4 days before isolating.

Below is a link to the post about the trip, logistics, dive shop, dive operations, etc. It has a ton of details and information for anybody planning a trip to Malta for technical (or recreational) wreck diving. I highly recommend Simon and his team at Dive Systems Malta.

In the coming days, I will publish detailed posts for each of the wrecks I was able to dive.

Any and all feedback welcome.

Here is the last pic I took on the trip which is my buddy John at the bow of the HMS Southwold:

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 8.16.55 AM.png

Regards,

- brett

Thank you for the great report. I look forward to seeing more pictures and reading the wreck details. Sorry to read about your encounter with COVID. I hope that you didn't suffer much.

Are you fully recovered from COVID now?

Great write up, thanks very much! I'd like to get back to Malta even more for more of the deeper wrecks with my CCR now!

Rich

Thank you for the great report. I look forward to seeing more pictures and reading the wreck details. Sorry to read about your encounter with COVID. I hope that you didn't suffer much.

Are you fully recovered from COVID now?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty much recovered. It is almost two weeks past the first symptoms.

The first post should be on the HMS Stubborn which was a British submarine. I'll probably finish it sometime today and put it out tomorrow AM (West Coast US).

- brett

Great write up, thanks very much! I'd like to get back to Malta even more for more of the deeper wrecks with my CCR now!

Rich

You bet! Wait until you see some of the photos of the wrecks. :)

Malta "deep" wrecks are a perfect place for rebreathers. There are a ton of unique and cool wrecks in the 60-70m range that are just ideal for rebreather dives IMO. If you don't have your MOD2 (or MOD3) I would get that first (or plan to get it while there).

- brett

Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty much recovered. It is almost two weeks past the first symptoms.

The first post should be on the HMS Stubborn which was a British submarine. I'll probably finish it sometime today and put it out tomorrow AM (West Coast US).

- brett

I have already subscribed to your mailing list and I read every update you put there.

If I may ask you please, how long did you have to quarantine in the hotel before you were allowed to leave and go back to the US? Did you have to wait for a negative test first?

I have already subscribed to your mailing list and I read every update you put there.

If I may ask you please, how long did you have to quarantine in the hotel before you were allowed to leave and go back to the US? Did you have to wait for a negative test first?

Thanks!

In terms of Covid, it was a self diagnosis based on a rapid test result (I had brought a couple kits with me). So, I didn't officially report it and I followed the general protocol by the CDC.

I quarantined in my hotel room for 5 days post first symptoms and then slowly started to go out but always with a mask. There are no longer testing requirements to fly back to the US. However, I tested every day and flew back on the 10th day after first symptoms and my self-test was clear.

- brett

Post about the HMS Stubborn is now out. Even though it was purposefully sunk, it is still a very cool wreck to dive.

Here is a picture of the conning tower from the stern looking forward:

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 7.03.27 AM.png

Next up, the JU 88 airplane which is relatively intact and has two large V-12 engines. I also built a photogrammetry model which is linked in the post below.

Here is a picture of one of the engines with large schools of fish making the wreck their home:

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 8.33.30 AM.png

Regards,

- brett

The post on the wreck of the Polynesien is now live.

The Polynesien is one of the most famous wrecks for technical diving in Malta. She started life as a French luxury liner and was then requisitioned and served as a troop transport ship in World War I. She was sank by a German submarine in August 1918. The wreck is very large (152m / 500' in length and 15m / 50' beam). We had two dives on her but still didn't see the whole wreck.

Here is a picture of my friend John peeking into the bow. The yellow sponges remind me of the wrecks I recently dove in Vis, Croatia.

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 8.09.43 AM.png
Regards,

- brett

Back
Top Bottom