Malta one of the oldest and newest diving destination in Europe.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tonio Anastasi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It appears that the great majority of members on this site are North American.

So I’ve put this together to let you know something about this beautiful island and great diving destination.:wink:

Over the years I have not dived with many Americans, and those that I did dive with where really great guys. They are divers after all.:)

I know that many Americans actually travel to Europe for its culture…yet I do not meet many coming here. Not divers at least.

When I ask those that do come here as to, how they came to choose Malta, they usually reply, by chance or whim. When they try and ask friends and neighbours about Malta. Its usually “Now ain’t that some milkshake?”

It’s quite an interesting island. There are a lot of things to see and do. However if you are only interested in the diving you’ll find this towards the end

We are a small nation, we are not an international power, nor do we make the CNN headline news. We do not have any natural resources.

Probably, the only thing that you, as divers may know that is related to Malta are the BARE wet and dry suits, of which 80% that are bought in Europe are actually manufactured here.

What we do have is the sun, the sea, mild winters and a historical heritage the envy of the world. In fact the worlds oldest temples are found here. http://www.art-and-archaeology.com/malta/malta.html. These are older then Stonehenge and about 800years older then the Pyramids of Egypt. It is said that our capital Valeltta has proportionately a higher concentration cultural heritage then the Vatican and is a world heritage site.

We have a history that goes back over 10,000 years. During which we had two important highlights in the defence of Europe and Liberty.

In 1565 10,000 of us stopped an army of 40,000Turks from invading the south of Europe causing the ottoman’s first major defeat and eventual downfall. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Malta_(1565).

The second was WW2 when Malta suffered more bombs dropped on her in an hour than any other massive bombardment in Europe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Malta_(1940).

Not bad for a little island.:14:

THE DIVING:popcorn:

The islands have a coastline of around 180klm. Yet in such a small area we have around 85 to 90 shore dives with depths ranging from 15M to around 35M - 40M.. We also have about half that as boat dives. To a maximum tech depth of 115M

The diving is quiet exciting, and offers divers various environments ranging from, drop offs, walls, caverns, wrecks, tunnels, overhangs, about 10 or 12 wrecks, with more to be sunk this year.

It is different.

You guys are probably used to coral reefs.

We do not have those here.

What we have are rock reefs and massive boulders. However our marine bio diversity never fails to amaze marine biologists that come diving here. You can expect to see, depending on the season, rays, morays, large shoals of barracuda, thunny, tuna, Bonito, Dorados, Amberjacks, Crevalle Jacks, Octopus, Squids, occassionally dolphins, and much more

The logistics are quite good with the farthest shore dive, from any part of the island, is no more than a 35mins overland drive, during which you can take in some of the sites.10 to 40mins max for boat dives

There are some 50 diving centres on the islands, and these are regulated by law and are regularly inspected to ensure that the safety and service standards are adhered to. The safety record here is amongst the best.
http://visitmalta.com/scuba

TECHNICAL DIVING.:popcorn::popcorn:
There are some fantastic opportunities for technical diving the gems of which I think are the WW1 and WW2 wrecks HMS Southold, HMS Russell, The Polynesia. I have not dived these wrecks, far too deep for me but these sites will guide you, http://www.starfishtng.com/Malta.htm
http://www.marinefoundation.org/wrecks.htm

ARCHEOLOGICAL DIVING:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Malta has a very rich marine archaeological history, so if anybody out there may be interested to come over for some research, they will not be disappointed.

Personally I handed in to the Superintendent of Heritage a Byzantine amphora, a clay plate dated to the middle ages which was from Crusades, a Moorish eating bowl from the same period and lots of other artefacts that I recorded but left there. As well as a new site which is yet to be plotted and recorded.

For information contact http://www.culturalheritage.gov.mt/index.asp Please note that these are all part of the historical heritage of the island, and that they cannot be moved or removed or collected :no without the specific permission of the Superintendent of Culture.

I hope that you have found this interesting:coffee:

Tonio Anastasi:
<snip>
I hope that you have found this interesting:coffee:
Indeed! Thanks for posting, Tonio. :)

Hi Tonio,

Funny you should post this today...I've been looking at coming this summer to either Malta or Gozo with my son. He's asked for his Junior Open Water for his 11th birthday. What I am wondering is whether there are some very simple shore dives that won't be too difficult for him. Oh...we are also American but have settled in Holland.

Best regards,

Phil

Tonio, this is one of the GREAT things about having many international members on SB. We all get first hand information about dive sites throughout the world. Thanks.

Thanks for the post. I was in Malta a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I only did one dive (was not a "dive trip" as such), but did really enjoy everything about the island. It is someplace where you will find few if any Americans, yet everyone speaks english. If you are into history, then this place is for you.

It probably has some of the worst drivers in Europe, but just take one of those cool old busses that ply the roads and you will be fine.

Scubamax

DutchDown:
Hi Tonio,

Funny you should post this today...I've been looking at coming this summer to either Malta or Gozo with my son. He's asked for his Junior Open Water for his 11th birthday. What I am wondering is whether there are some very simple shore dives that won't be too difficult for him. Oh...we are also American but have settled in Holland.

Best regards,

Phil

Yes. You do not have to worry about that.
The majority of sites chosen will be easy entry and exits.
At the most maybe a max of two mins walk.
If your son is smallish then I'm sure the Instructor would carry the cylinder for him. we do that all the time here. So its no problem

While your son will be doing the confined work it is quite possible, because of the flexibilyty of the dive sites, that you will be on the same site.

Different dive same site. You could be doing for example a 25M or 30M dive while your son will be along a large plateau at 3M. This means that you could actually cross eachother's paths while you return to your exit.

For the open water part of your sons course, there is the possibility of being able to join him on the dives and share the experience with him but remeber that you will be diving at his level.:)

Finally
There is a Guy on the dive site, his name is Adrian. He takes pictures of divers, and charges LM6. So that would also give you a wonderful sovinere. There are also people that offer a video service of a dive but I'm not sure how much they are charging now a day.
1 final point. Because of the walking over tarmac and sometimes rock I suggest the you invest in a pair of botties and fins for him.

Have you booked a place yet?

If not Look at the Sliema area. This is an old twon with a beautyful mixture of modern and new architecture and has the advantage of living amongt the maltese. The Bugibba side is very touristy, and personally I would not stay there.

Its a small island. Distances are short, so if you chose a diving center outside Sliema
Most centers provide free pick up to and from your hotel.
let me know if you need any other infrmation

scubamax:
Thanks for the post. I was in Malta a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I only did one dive (was not a "dive trip" as such), but did really enjoy everything about the island. It is someplace where you will find few if any Americans, yet everyone speaks english. If you are into history, then this place is for you.

It probably has some of the worst drivers in Europe, but just take one of those cool old busses that ply the roads and you will be fine.

Scubamax

Glad you enjoyed it here.

Especially the buses.:)

Where did you dive? Was it winter?

annasea:
Indeed! Thanks for posting, Tonio. :)

You are welcome. If you like reading there is a very good novel called THE SWORD AND THE SCIMITAR, by David Ball.
Its an exciting read, and historically quite accurate.

drbill:
Tonio, this is one of the GREAT things about having many international members on SB. We all get first hand information about dive sites throughout the world. Thanks.

Thanks drBill.
Yes it is amazing there are not only divers from all over the USofA and Canada, but also from Australia and Europe.
It also is very interesting because of the different experiences, of divers diving in very different condtions.
Can you imagine the logistics of something like this forum 20 years ago being run by the postal service:)

Tonio
Thanks for the informative and Interesting write up on Malta. I enjoy diving in the Med and will take Malta into consideration when planing dive trips.
Good work
Rauven

RauvenS:
Tonio
Thanks for the informative and Interesting write up on Malta. I enjoy diving in the Med and will take Malta into consideration when planing dive trips.
Good work
Rauven
Glad to have opened a new door for you, and I hope it will lead to some great adventures.

Tonio- I was wondering if you could tell me what the visibilty is (generally speaking) and also what are the best or most popular months for diving off Malta. Is there a month that is warm and dry and less likely to produce storms?
Also, during the warm months, what is the average water temperature?
Are you familiar with Island Residence Club at Radisson SAS Golden Sands Resort & Spa?
We are able to obtain weeks there through time share and wondered is the hotel and location are any good?
Thanks again. Hope to meet you when we finally do get to Malta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom