Maldives vs Seychelles Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I was speaking of Maldives as well.

Dynamite fishing on Pemba is very infrequent these days and the reef fish are plentiful, the corals superb, lots of hard coral, fans, and some soft. Nice schools of black snapper, rainbow runner in the "winter", GTs, some schooling barracuda. Loads and loads of varied fusiliers, sweetlips etc

Yeah, I remember we had schooling barracuda — different schools with different speices in one dive off northern Pemba were we had long drifts in very strong current and crystal clear water there (Nov/Dec).
The spot I’ve been looking at in the Qurimbas (a fellow photographer made a film a couple of years ago — looked completely amazing and jaw dropping, reminiscent to some spots in the Sudanese Red Sea) is Vamizi. Unfortunately stupid expensive.

Wow, thanks for that. Sent me straight to Google but sigh . . . Not much info, hard to get to, etc etc etc

If you have to chose between the two, the Maldives is better, and best on a liveaboard. Better value for money than the resorts, and more variety of dives. I can recommend some boats.
As others have said, plenty of fish and sharks, but the coral is in a poor state. If you want beautiful Indian Ocean reefs, you should look at Pemba Island, Zanzibar, or Ibo Island, Qurimbas, Mozambique. And if you are on a budget, I rate the diving in Tofo, Mozambique over the Maldives.

Christopher,
I notice your comments regarding the diving between Seychelles vs Maldives. My question is what are your thoughts on the diving in the French Polynesia> Bora Bora, Tahaa, Tahiti, Maupiti, Moorea,...I think they are the Society Islands. Have you traveled and dove in those locations?
Actually,I welcome comments nor help from anyone with experience of travel or diving in these areas of the world.
Thanks

I haven't been there yet. I think the big draw for most divers are Fakarava pass, with lots of grey reef sharks on an incoming tide, and the grouper spawning in June if you are lucky enough to catch it. Check out Blue Planet II,they missed it the first time, but got it the following year. If you are looking for a far away destination with amazing reef life and corals, go to Papua New Guinea. Consistently the best reef diving I have done anywhere in the world.

I haven't been there yet. I think the big draw for most divers are Fakarava pass, with lots of grey reef sharks on an incoming tide, and the grouper spawning in June if you are lucky enough to catch it. Check out Blue Planet II,they missed it the first time, but got it the following year. If you are looking for a far away destination with amazing reef life and corals, go to Papua New Guinea. Consistently the best reef diving I have done anywhere in the world.

Which part of PNG please? Large area.

Have you been to Raja Ampat?

Back
Top Bottom