Maldives Liveaboard Recommandation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalekainxx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking of going to the maldives in Dec. Anyone recommanded a few good liveaboards with contact info?

Also would like to stay at a resort for a week or so. What are some of the things that we must see before we leave? Thanks in advance.

I think there are a ton of liveaboard (or "safari") boats, but a lot don't cater to the N American crowd/standards so much.

We were on the Manthiri earlier this year. It was a great trip (the diving totally rocked, right now it's the place I most want to go back to.) Good crew that was mostly quite reserved but all worked to make your trip good. The boat was nice enough, our cabin worked well, and had a really large bathroom for a liveaboard. (We had one of the 2 double cabins forward.) Food was erratic, ranged from just ok to great. Breakfast and lunch in particular were pretty decent some days and pretty lame others. The snacks were nothing to write home about, often it was packaged cookies. Best food was the local or regional dishes, lots of good curries, interesting rice or noodle dishes etc. often at dinner. Lots of fresh fish and sometimes sashimi. I don't remember much for beverages except for warm water (they don't seem to believe in ice there.) And so-so wine with dinner. I had brought along a bunch of those individual drink mixes for lemonade and such which was a welcome change. There was a small fridge in the cabin which they kept stocked with bottled water, and they made sure you always had plenty of bottled water on the dive dhoni.

I would be happy to do the Manthiri again, but I might be inclined to try the Peter Hughes boat first (we saw it and it looked beautiful.) Or the Aggressor after it gets there next year. Though I suspect the Manthiri was more of a unique all around experience with more local flavor than either of those boats would be, totally guessing on that. I've also heard the Baani Adventurer is worth checking out. We actually met the captain of that boat last day in port when people were doing the boat hopping visiting thing, seemed like a nice guy.

How were the dive sites? I've read some reviews that said the Maldives had really bad current?

I wish I had been there years ago. Warming/bleaching and maybe the tsunami whacked alot of the corals some years ago, I've seen accounts that there is only 10% of the coverage there used to be. Supposedly stuff is coming back. It was still beautiful and the fish life was tremendous. Sometimes you couldn't see through the fish. There were some sites that appeared for whatever reason not to have lost so much coral and they were amazing to see, I could just imagine what it all looked like before. Great macro critters, stuff everywhere. Lots of sharks at the end of the channels. We saw mantas, including a big squadron flying overhead (blotting out the sun style) even though it wasn't the time of year for it, we got lucky. We got skunked on whale sharks, but the odds are supposed to be pretty good. (My shop ran a second trip 2 months after the one we went on and they saw them.) Large variety in the sites.

Yes, the currents can be bad. It varies with location, time of year, time of day/tides. They also seem to be somewhat unpredictable because it's complicated, you've got an atoll of atolls with tides flowing in and out of all that, wind, and currents in the Indian Ocean itself. Usually they called it right but sometimes you'd get surprised when you went in, and they planned for both. We were there in Jan which is during the strongest period on average, and I get the impression that this year and what we experienced was exceptionally strong. Some dives we only rode the current for only part until getting into the lee of something, and sometimes it was pretty much the whole dive and you hung onto dead coral at the end of a channel to watch the show. (Plenty of dead coral but hard to find a place to grab sometimes as everything had something living in it.) There were some dives that were nuts, and one I was downright scared on. Made Palau look like a swimming pool, though I think things in Palau was relatively tame when we were there. YMMV. I'm pretty sure it is not always like that, and I also supect our sites were chosen for what we would see rather than worrying about the currents since everyone on the trip was capable. (We did do one current free dive on a wreck and small wall, the very first of the trip, so it was clearly possible.) But what we experienced there, no way I would suggest for someone new or not 100% on top of things.

Back
Top Bottom