Maldives - late October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vikram14

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I am planning to do a diving trip to Maldives later this year since the coronavirus outbreak has made any interim travel plans impossible. Wanted to know if late October or early November would be a good time to dive especially if someone has dived earlier during that time. I am planning to go to the local islands - possibly either Rasdhoo or Felidhoo. Any suggestions/reccommendations welcome (I am AOW - Enriched Air with 50+ dives)

Vik

Well, if your friend Covid permits the trip....

The hulhangu (south-west mosoon), is in fact the wet season, from early May to November (means it may rain everyday). More agitated and rainy, this monsoon brings wind, which makes the sea agitated. The showers are brief but very intense, especially in June and July, the months least favourable for tourism. This monsoon is generally more disturbing for the islands in the north of the archipelago. Temperature still between 26 °C and 34 °C and water at 28 °C, so ...diving welcome.

I wonder why I tell you this, you know it... I just saw you were from Bangalore, sorry.

We obviously all hope that the restrictions will be lifted by then, but anything could happen.

For the Maldives consider a liveaboard. It’s a very very expensive destination, even staying on the local islands. Liveaboard will take you to the best areas for 17 or so dives, give you full board including non alcoholic drinks and all transfers. Not sure if you are travelling solo, but they are perfect for solo dives as you have company at every meal.

Recommend wholeheartedly Emperor Divers , who offer free Nitrox.

Well, if your friend Covid permits the trip....

The hulhangu (south-west mosoon), is in fact the wet season, from early May to November (means it may rain everyday). More agitated and rainy, this monsoon brings wind, which makes the sea agitated. The showers are brief but very intense, especially in June and July, the months least favourable for tourism. This monsoon is generally more disturbing for the islands in the north of the archipelago. Temperature still between 26 °C and 34 °C and water at 28 °C, so ...diving welcome.

I wonder why I tell you this, you know it... I just saw you were from Bangalore, sorry.

Staying in India I am indeed familiar with monsoon! Though I have stayed in Bombay and Bangalore and monsoons are very different in various parts of the country. Bombay being on the coast gets battered by rain June through September whereas Bangalore, though in South India, being in the interior gets much less rain. So it varies a lot depending on where you are. That's why wanted to know how weather is in Maldives during October. Generally monsoon begins to withdraw in late September so chances of rain are less and you can get lucky with dry weather then onwards but again don't know if it is same in Maldives. Also global warming has changed wind patterns unpredictably. 2019 was a strong and prolonged monsoon with a record breaking exit (rains stopped somewhere in late October.....)

sure it has changed... last time I was in Maldives, supposed to be beginning of monsoon and raining a lot, I remember only 1 day with rain, and only less than 1 hour... and with water at 30°c, not too difficult to bear !

to go to Ari atoll, we had to try 2 times, as the sea was too hard for the dhoni (diving boat, smaller than LoB), but no problem at all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom