Maldives in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What are the disadvantages of diving the Maldives in the summer(June,July,aug.)? If any.

There are only two seasons in the Madives – dry and wet. The rainy season, running from the end of April, through May, June, July, August and September up until the end of October, can bring heavy, south-westerly monsoon rains, occasional strong winds and storms.

but on the flipside:

Diving Season

April, May and June are the hottest months of the year and, due to plankton blooming, see manta rays and whale sharks. These months are popular with divers seeking the large pelagics. December to March normally enjoys the best visibility.

The Maldive Islands have a wet season between May and August, which reduces visibility and may restrict the number of accessible dive sites due to poorer surface conditions. This is less of a concern for liveaboards that can vary their itineraries to cover only those sites enjoying the best dive conditions.
Diving in Maldives - Maldive Islands

No personal experience but we were looking at the Carpe Vita Explorer last year when they had their sale - my buddy can only go in July.

moved to the Maldives forum...

Being in the Maldives for almost 3 years now, June and July were theoritically the bad weather months. Like everywhere else, the weather patern changed.
The bad months are more September/October now.

In June, there will be a week or so of rain and wind, but the weather is defenitely not that bad generally speaking at that time of year.

Hello LaMissJude. I am considering a liveaboard for the end of November. What kind of weather and dive conditions can I expect ? Also, what are the typical depths ? Much of the photo's and video I have seen looks dark. Is this due to depth and/or lower visability ?

November and December can be great... or not, that is also very unpredictible as it is still the change of season. I would expect un bit of rain and some wind, but not all the time. This year in Laamu atoll we had quite a bit of wind in November.
Doing liveaboard, you can also travel and change the plan, that's the great thing about it :)

The maximal depth allowed in the Maldives by law is 30 meters.

For the videos/photos you have seen, it is difficult to answer as I didn't see them ^_^ but it will depend of the light of course (at what time of the day and/or under what weather conditions, at what depth, with which settings, what camera etc...) the particules you'll find underwater (very rare to have a great visibility if you are diving with mantas or whale sharks... as plancton feeders, you have good chances to find where there is plancton, and plancton affects the visibility.)

In term of visibility, the Maldives can have a great one, however, this is not the red sea, there is rain over here for exemple :)
Usually, if the current is flowing into the atoll (incoming) the visibility is better; if the current is flowing from the inside to the outside (outgoing) the visibility is poorer. However, I've seen great visibitity with an outgoing current and crap viz with an incoming.

As soon as you think you know something, the nature over here remind you that, in fact, you know very little :)

Carpe Vita Explorer has a nice sale going on certain weeks. $500 discount. Now looking at Dec 29- Jan 5. Is the weather and dive conditions more settled late December early January ?

So, did you go? how was it? Planning to go in July but not sure about how bad the vis is going to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom