Maldives in December - Dhoni Migili?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTA

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan our honeymoon in December this year and we're hoping to go to the Maldives! We're looking for some good old honeymoon-type luxury living plus great diving (of course!). Ideally we'd love to see some mantas and possibly a whale shark (though we aren't counting on it).

After having surfed through the forum and speaking with some people - I was told the best places to go for mantas/whale sharks would be the South Ari Atoll and perhaps the North Male Atoll (though no whale sharks here). Is this right?

Having spoken to our travel agent (Abercrombie and Kent), she suggested that we stay at the Dhoni Migili (http://dhonimighili.com.21.m6.net/) where we would get our own villa plus a Dhoni which apparently has a full crew and we can sail around to wherever in the Ari Atoll we wanted. Plus we could get a DM to come with us to show us the best sites.

Has anyone been to Dhoni Migili and does anyone know if what our travel agent is suggesting is even remotely correct? It sounds a bit too good to be true! Like our own mini liveaboard but we could come back to island whever we want and use the spa and restaurant facilities.

Apparently the DMs come from the Divers Haven dive center - does anyone have experience with this?

If the Dhoni Migili plan doesn't work out we are looking at a number of other options - Huvafen Fushi (the ocean bungalow or the beach pavilion), Soneva Fushi and the like. Does anyone have experiences of these and know if they have any dencent house reefs? (We've dinged Soneva Gilli as apparently it doesn't have a house reef - we'd like to do more than 2 dives a day so understand that we'd have to go do our own dives to do more than 2 a day).

Thanks for your help!

dhoni migili is with no doubt one of the most luxurious resorts in the maldives. however i personally have not been there. to my knowledge it is as you describe it. (might be a good idea to ask for a pick-up by your dhoni at hulule airport and get a few dives in on the way to the resort. usually 2 dives a day are standard in the maldives. if you want to do more, just ask by mail whether or not this is possible.

i myself was in december in the south ari atoll. no mantas!!! but lotd of rain. much bigger chances if you spend your honeymoon in january. whale sharks you have later in the year. so i doubt that you will see both species on the same trip.

should you wish to safe some mony you could stay at the hilton rangali or mirihi. both are located just in the right spot (south west ari atoll) for watching mantas. its about a 15 to 20 min boat ride to the manta point.

hous reef of mirihi is quite good

enjoy your honeymoon

Back
Top Bottom