Maldives in August, can't decide!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michshlomo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I know there is tons of info online but I'll be happy to hear your experience before I book my flight ticket. Husband and I are going to India in August and are looking to combine a diving vacation. We want to dive somewhere for 1 week. Hoping the diving destination has cheap flights to India, we came up with Maldives. We dove in the Philippines a few times in the past.
So Maldives in August- where do you think are the best shore dives? We won't be doing LOB, do you think Maldives has good shore dives? We like corals and big fish. Everything really...
How far will this destination be from the international airport and how much will it cost to get there from the airport?
Do you have a recommendation for a dive resort? Doesn't have to be fancy but should have very good dive operation and good food is something we like too :)
We are not tight on budget but if it's all too expensive we might decide to go to the Philippines instead.

Maldives has excellent shore dives, a lot better than Philippines.
From the airport, you need to take speedboat or seaplane to the resort.

Roundtrip speedboat costs USD$100 to $300 per person.
Roundtrip seaplane or domestic plane costs USD$300 to 500 per person.

You may take a look at Bandos Resort.
It is about 10 minutes speedboat ride from the airport, roundtrip speedboat costs USD$94 per person.
It also has good dive team and shore dive.

HOMEPAGE - Top Maldives Destination Bandos Maldives

If Bandos is over your budget, you may consider a local island for scuba diving:
Maldives, Guest Houses and Local Islands

Local island is a lot cheaper but there is no alochol or pork on the island.

Local islands costs:
Hotels USD$40 - 120
Fun dive USD$ 40 - 60 per dive
Meals USD$8 - 10

Last edited:
India has some great Dive Sites, Goa will be closed in August, But the andamans and Pondicherry are open for diving :)

You may find that LOBs are cheaper than resort diving - especially after you factor in ++. Staying on a local island is an option for budget conscious divers.

Embudu is also a nice budget resort.

Home

BOAT TRANSFER $ 65 PER PERSON PER RETURN

Last edited:
Thanks guys, after reading your posts I know that I can afford a budget resort at a local island. Where will I find the best dives in August? Will the dive boats be going in August? I read about liberty guest house, seems great, the question is wether Mahibadhoo is a good place to base myself?

Besides Mahibadhoo, there are other good local islands to consider:
Maafushi, Rasdhoo, Fulidhoo, Dharavandhoo, Dhigurah, etc.

If you want to see groups of manta in August, Dharavandhoo is the place.

(Hanifaru Bay is for snorkeling only)

Fulidhoo also has good diving.

Back
Top Bottom