Maldives, Guest Houses and Local Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russjstewart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just putting up a quick post to share some of our recent experiences in the Maldives.
It was an almost a spur of the moment trip spurred on by some reasonable air fares from Air Asia.

As the budget was a bit tight we elected to stay at a guest house on a local ( inhabited) island. I am happy to say it was a damn good decision. We stayed at the Liberty Guest House on Mahibadhoo Island in the Ari Atoll, and dived with the in-house dive shop -Zala Divers.

The rooms were excellent value and were air conditioned as well as having ceiling fans. The room was serviced each day while we were out diving. The dining room was excellent value with a good range of well cooked meals, at a price that was so low it was hard to believe.

I was very happy with the dive operator, Zala Divers.we were doing the same dives as the rich people staying at the resorts for a better price.

Diving was from dhow type dive boats, setup for giant stride entries and a well designed ladder for exits.

All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Being an idiot I managed to leave my spring fin straps in Melbourne, and only just realised when I put the fins on on to go diving. Within minutes bungee cord had been found on the boat and straps rigged so I could dive.

The hire gear all looked fairly new and in good condition.

Being a "local island" a certain amount of modesty in relation to dress standards was required, but once the boat was out of the harbour those who felt the need to feed their melanomas by stripping down to bathers were able to. The Guest House was also able to organise day trips to a nearby local island with a designated bikini beach, to trips to a deserted island or if you really needed a drink a trip to a resort island.

All in all I was very happy with the whole experience.

Many thanks,reat report , glad you enjoyed the local island. We have had two great tripd to Dhigurah Island , where we stayed in Boutique Beach Dive Hotel. How was the diving where you were ?

Thanks for sharing. Any dive photos to share?

I also like to stay and dive in local islands.
I had visited three local islands: Maafushi, Rasdhoo and Dhangethi.

I will visit Fulidhoo in March.

The diving was very good, gin clear water and one fantastic dive where a group of Mantas " put on a show for us"

I will try to grab some footage off the GoPro to post

The diving was very good, gin clear water and one fantastic dive where a group of Mantas " put on a show for us"

I will try to grab some footage off the GoPro to post

Waiting for your photos or videos !!!

I stayed in Dharavandhoo for a week last year because it was the closest local island to Hanifaru bay. Fantastic experience both above and underwater; I stayed at a local guesthouse which was very clean and with wonderful breakfast while I dived with Home - Dharavandhoo Divers which I totally recommend.
I also spent 10 days on a liveaboard (Carpe Diem) after that; if you can afford it, liveaboard is probably the best way to get a good overview of Maldives underwater paradise...

pictures here:
Maldives UW
Maldives

I stayed in Dharavandhoo for a week last year because it was the closest local island to Hanifaru bay. Fantastic experience both above and underwater; I stayed at a local guesthouse which was very clean and with wonderful breakfast while I dived with Home - Dharavandhoo Divers which I totally recommend.
I also spent 10 days on a liveaboard (Carpe Diem) after that; if you can afford it, liveaboard is probably the best way to get a good overview of Maldives underwater paradise...

pictures here:
Maldives UW
Maldives

Thanks for sharing.
Very nice UW photos !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom