Maldives Dive Trip Photos and Videos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sipadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
# of dives
200 - 499
I just came back from the Maldives dive trip. Over 20+ dives. 9 days. On the Live on board boat - MV EAGLE RAY. Food was very good. We ate fresh fish nearly every day.

The seas were very rough at times. But there were plenty of marine
life. ... not the same sort as Sipadan's Barracuda Tornadoes and Jack
Fish hordes though.

But this is open sea diving and we went there to see the big stuff. And... we did get to see one or two whale sharks. Briefly. Like 5 seconds. Had to jump into the open seas with 1 metre high waves with a mask and fins to try and catch the buggers. The ship was like cruising around- the lookout shouted "WHALE SHARK!!!!" We ran out on the deck- put on our fins and mask - and jumped into the swirling sea- and attempted to chase after the bastard. How insane is that?

We also did get to see the Eagle Rays and a spectacular dive with two big Manta Rays.

Its open seas diving. We were diving in really rough seas at times. Definitely not for the faint hearted. Its an experience alright.

I'll be posting up video and photos of the trip on the multiply site. I got some amazing video footage of the Manta Rays and a number of nice photo shots - thanks to my Fuji F31 point and shoot camera.

The Gentle Knight - Maldives Dive Trip May 2008
Photos are there.

Videos are here:
The Gentle Knight - Manta Ray - the money shot

What were those fishes that were swimming under the mantas?

It's a bit too late in the season to go to the Maldives Islands.
How long did you stay and in which atol did you go ?
(Ari Atol ?)
Have you seen many sharks ? ( hammerheads, grey reef sharks, white tips...)
I've been two times there, and the second time I had a bad feeling about maldivian's sharks populations.

It's a bit too late in the season to go to the Maldives Islands.
How long did you stay and in which atol did you go ?
(Ari Atol ?)
Have you seen many sharks ? ( hammerheads, grey reef sharks, white tips...)
I've been two times there, and the second time I had a bad feeling about maldivian's sharks populations.

Yes we did see grey reef sharks and white tip sharks. Not that many though it seems. Average of 1 for each dive. Occasionally we would see 5.

No hammerhead sharks. Nada.

Saw the Whale Shark at South Ari and Faafu Atoll. Also saw a school of dolphins too from the boat.

We were on the Live a Board MV Eagle Ray- we cruised from Male down South- then headed to South Ari and looped around again. Nine days on board- maybe 2 days at each place. May 24th - June 2nd. End of Season. Rough Seas but apparently time for the big fish to appear.

Saw the Manta Rays at Lankan Out. But it was quite touch and go- as the first dive we saw practically zero.

Nice photos!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom