Maldives - Best island and season to see whale sharks and mantas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As per the title, which is the best island and season in the Maldives to see whale sharks and mantas?
I have been told the best one is Ari atoll in the northern part of the archipelago
Provided it's cheaper and easier to reach the South from the capital city Malè where they have the international airport it would be good to have info also on islands in the South where it's possible to do the same. Anyways, if the North is best let's stick to it

I will report some second hand info I got on this topic. The places to see whale sharks and mantas are Maamigili (like travelem said), Dhigurah, Hangnaameedhoo and especially Dharavandhoo which is close to the bay of Hanifaru a Unesco world heritage site

I will report some second hand info I got on this topic. The places to see whale sharks and mantas are Maamigili (like travelem said), Dhigurah, Hangnaameedhoo and especially Dharavandhoo which is close to the bay of Hanifaru a Unesco world heritage site

I also had gone to Dharavandhoo where I saw school of manta but no whaleshark.
Just back from Dharavandhoo (Hanifaru Bay) photos

You sure have a lot high chance to see whaleshark in Maamigili, South Ari Atoll.

Back
Top Bottom