Maldives - Baa Atoll - Coco Palm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m_BK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In search of a more traditional island, we ended up in the northern Baa Atoll. The resort opened before the 2000s so has had plenty of time to grow with plenty of green plants and palm trees. Here there is less the urge for excessive luxury but an all the more well-established island life in harmony with nature. A special feature is also the large sandy beach with a beach bar on the west side - as usual in the Maldives, this changes with the monsoon and the seasons. On the islands there is a sanctuary for injured or sick turtles. There is a worthwhile lecture as well as the opportunity to visit the turtles - a project that we are happy to support.

Diving in the Baa Atoll mainly takes place on the inner so-called Thila's (underwater islands). Coral reefs with their typical inhabitants can be found here - it is fascinating how the structure and the inhabitants of the individual independent thila's are the same in the end. There is always a small quota shark standing in the current, but also the usual schools of rays, batfish and moray eels. It is also worth taking a closer look at smaller macro animals. Starting from the island of Coco Palm, you are usually alone at the dive sites. A short boat ride south offers an interesting site for night diving.

camera: GoPro Hero 9 (+ 2x 15000 lumen light)
settings: 4k / 60fps / white balance native / iso 100-400

Hi, just found your post here, thank you for your videoclips.
I am thinking about Coco Palm in late January, do they have diving facilities too, or this has to be arranged elsewhere?

Sure they have their own dive center :wink:

Sure they have their own dive center :wink:
Thank you! Would you recommend this place for the very first time visit in Maledives? I've never been there, although I dove in lot of places in AsiaPacific.

Piotr

Yes, the baa atoll is avery easy diving location. it don`t have the big shark actions.

Hi @m_BK, is the diving at this resort guided by a dive master for certified divers?

I have contacted a dive centre based at a Baa Atoll resort in the past and they told me they only do buddy diving, and hiring of a dive guide would be limited by someone being available, but I can't remember which resort. I have considered going to Coco Palm but can't remember if this was the reason I never went there.

Hi @m_BK, is the diving at this resort guided by a dive master for certified divers?

I have contacted a dive centre based at a Baa Atoll resort in the past and they told me they only do buddy diving, and hiring of a dive guide would be limited by someone being available, but I can't remember which resort. I have considered going to Coco Palm but can't remember if this was the reason I never went there.
Interesting .. never experienced "only buddy" at the maldives.
When I was at Coco every dive was guided and from the boat.
Maybe they had an housereef but seems it was not very worth it.

Interesting .. never experienced "only buddy" at the maldives.
When I was at Coco every dive was guided and from the boat.
Maybe they had an housereef but seems it was not very worth it.
Thanks very much for confirming that diving is guided at Coco Palm. Nice videos of the resort and diving.

Do you know if they arrange snorkelling trips to Hanifaru?

I've found that Coco Palm is over 30km away from Hanifaru so looks too far for snorkelling trips.

I think the resort that told me dive master for diving is based on availability is Reethi Beach, but that was before the pandemic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom