Maldive vs Manado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on diving in either one of the 2 places, Maldive or Manado in April. Which do you think is a better place for an inexperienced diver? Also, what about the weather or current at that time?

Thanks in advance.

I'd say a you have a few factors to consider. What you want to see, how much you're willing to pay, and probably what kind of leisure activities you want.

If you got money to burn, go to the Maldives (I don't think there's such a place called Maldive). I haven't dived in a more expensive place than there but then again, that was before the tsunami hit. I'm not sure if the prices have come down. Despite the price, I enjoyed the dives. The variety of marine life in Maldives is awesome. Ranging from manta rays to hammerhead sharks to hundreds of parrot fish to strange jellyfish. However, the sea conditions may vary and some sites I imagine may be a little challenging for a beginner. Also, there is almost nothing to do in many resorts in Maldives, when you're not diving. So if you're there with your loved one, it will be a good bonding time.

As for Manado, don't expect to see big creatures. When I was there, the ONLY big fish I saw was a 1 m napolean wrasse. Oh yes, maybe giant clams too. And that was it. However, it's a lovely place if you like taking pictures. Nudibrach, lionfish, tunicates, and more nudibrach are order of the day. Also, diving can be really cheap there. Something like USD 40-70 for your room and 3 dives a day, per person. For nightlife, you can take a bus to town where you can sample nasi kuning, literally yellow rice. There is a couple of pubs in town too.

To get a better idea, check out some photos I took in Manado:

http://spaces.msn.com/four-engines

Look under the Manado album.

Hope this helps.

F/E

Thanks for your input.

Base on your descriptions, it seems like Manado is more for me than Maldives (and yes, you are right, not Maldive). Anyway, is there any good dive shop/resort in Manado that you would recommend?

Cheers.

4 engine was pretty unlucky: i saw a few sharks, some barracudas, a lot of turtles (some realy big). i will recommend Celebes divers: they have 2 really nice resort, one on the manado side the other in Bunaken Park with the only nice beach you can find. Good food, really good diving team, nice bungalows. Share your stay betwen the 2 resorts, and in Mando ask to see the videos made by one of the italians biologist that work there.

It's easy diving, do 3 dives a day .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom