Maldive liveaboard curious?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirtfarmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm an experienced diver with some curiosity for doing a liveaboard in the Maldives. I've read through the first 15 pages of posts here so I'm not totally uninformed. My time frame for travel would be early to mid November 2016 which I understand to be the monsoon saddle season. I'd most likely be doing a male/central circuit but most than likely since most are 7 days doing two back to back. ( I like to amortize the travel time and expense and when I go halfway across the Earth get in at least two weeks of diving).
So here's a few questions.
Whalesharks, I'd love to see some! Is November a good time for them? At that time of year which area is best North-Central-South?

Sharks, I Love them also! How Sharky is the Maldives? I've read good things about the sharkyness in the south.

Crowds, I've read a few comments here of some pretty crowded divesites with 50+ divers on them, or hoards of snorkelers hovering above, ruining a nice whaleshark silhouette with sunburst photo opportunity. I've read of over 90 liveaboards sailing the Maldivian waters so I'm a bit leery, as I'm not a huge fan of diving with 50+ divers.

Diver to guide ratios, I'm a bit spoiled by Indonesia where I get great guides and groups of 4-1 or smaller, but I've read of rather high ratios of 8-1, is this typical or does the ratio vary from boat to boat?

I'm looking at mid-range boats, my usual liveaboard booker gives me 5% off for repeat customer discount and they book the Carpe Diem,the Emperor Atoll ( smaller boat which could be good), the MV Leo, the Emperor Voyager, and the Sachika currently, I would love any feedback about these or recommendations for other mid range boats.
Or should I just go back to my default trip to Lembeh then a liveboard to Komodo which I know I will enjoy and have epic dive after epic dive?

Last edited:
I book some of the same ships, Carpe Vita / Carpe Diem, the Constellation Fleet (Leo, Virgo, Orion), the Maavahi, etc. I can match or exceed the 5% on some ships. We have a great Deep South shark trip in early 2016 on the Carpe Vita but I have that one sold out. Some of the ship have 3 DMs so that is groups of 6-8. There are a lot of ships in the Maldives but I have not had any complaints of crowded dive sites. I will ask some folks who just returned. I have some repeat clients going on their 3rd trip on the Carpe Vita this December so I know this is a great ship. The Constellation ship do have jacuzzis which is a benefit some folks want. If you were intending on doing two trips back to back, I can probably do a good discount. Drop me a note if you wish.

Cheers, Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom