Malaysia dive internships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namabiru:
Has anyone here done a divemaster/instructor internship in Malaysia? I've heard that it's sometimes cheaper to go to Malaysia to get educated than to go to Thailand. Can someone support this statement with experience?
Accommodation in Malaysia is cheaper, other than that are the same as Thailand.
Good luck for your coming courses.

NAUI
You may contact NAUI Pacific Rim
Sea Divers Sdn Bhd
16 Jalan Utara, Off Jalan Imbi
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia
Tel: 603-2141 5201
Fax: 603-2141 5202
E-mail: seadvrs@hotmail.com
PADI
Borneo Divers & Sea Sports - Sabah S-537
9TH Floor, Menara Jubili, 53 Jalan Gaya
Kota Kinabalu Sabah 88000
MALAYSIA
Phone: (60) 88-222226
Fax: (60) 88-221550
http://www.borneodivers.info/

B&J Diving Centre Sdn. Bhd S-2967
Kampung Salang #48
Tioman Island 86800
MALAYSIA
Phone: (60) 9-4195555
http://www.divetioman.com/

Mmm! Thank you Jason! I will look into those places. Actually, I think I looked at B&J, but not Borner Divers. I'm surprised I didn't see that one, I looked on the PADI site. Ah well.

There's a lot to choose from in Asia. I think I just pretty well have to pick where I want to go, then find a shop. Lots of nice countries. Soft spot in my heart for Puerto Gallera, as that's where I did OW. Also the Andamans, that's where I first snorkeled and fell in love with Thailand :)

namabiru:
Mmm! Thank you Jason! I will look into those places. Actually, I think I looked at B&J, but not Borner Divers. I'm surprised I didn't see that one, I looked on the PADI site. Ah well.

There's a lot to choose from in Asia. I think I just pretty well have to pick where I want to go, then find a shop. Lots of nice countries. Soft spot in my heart for Puerto Gallera, as that's where I did OW. Also the Andamans, that's where I first snorkeled and fell in love with Thailand :)
B&J Tioman such of nice accommodation, he doing tec facilities too, maybe you can have take a time doing wreck dive.
Good Luck!

Hello Namabiru,

When considering an internship, in which you will spend 2-6 months in one place, you need to consider more than just price. The quality of instruction should be your Number One concern. If you pass the IE with bare-minimum marks or even FAIL the IE, then you've wasted whatever money you did spend.

One of our OWSI interns went to Sipidan to do his MSDT. Got an e-mail today from him and said that the dive center there (no names) "was a joke compared with Aquanauts." But of course the diving is great, (except for the triggerfish!)

The second thing you need to factor in is INFRASTRUCTURE. You can do internships in lots of places but what the heck do you do when you're not underwater? For many places, Malaysia included, you'd better bring a good book.

The reason the world's most successful internship programs are in Pattaya Beach, Thailand is that it's not only low-priced relative to the rest of the world, but we have all the benefits of an urbanized environment. Pattaya ha six major (western-size large) supermarkets. Two world-class hospitals, two deco chambers near the dive sites, 10 cinemas, 2 bowling alleys, and restaurants with every conceivable cuisine. There are literally dozens of organized sports leagues, 24 golf courses (including the best PGA course in Asia) and tons of diferent water sports besides diving.

Price is also not the same as value. What is included in the sticker price? Do they furnish your room with all new bedding and whatnot? (We do). Do they pick you up from the airport with a Mercedes limo? (We do). Do they send your visa documents to you overseas Fedex 2-day (We do). Does their equipment package include safety baloons, slates, torches, etc? (Ours does).And do they have worldwide toll-free phone numbers? (We do: 866-995-5959 from the US)

The devil, as they say, is in the details and we here at Aquanauts not only turn out instructors who IE after IE are scoring 5.0s across the board then landing great jobs thanks to our in-house job placement network, but also have a program that offers the BEST value for the money than any program in Malaysia, South Thailand, Mexico or Honduras.

I strongly encourage you to visit our internship site at www.DivingInstructorTraining.com and compare it to any program you're looking at. Then contact me and we can customize a package and price for you.

BTW, we're about to launch a new home page and pacakge with an offer no one else will match. (Probably online March 26.)
Bob James

Wow. How much did that advertisement cost? Didn't I see the video version at halftime of the Superbowl?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom