Malaria in Mabul/Sipidan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roo

New
Reaction score
I know that Sabah is riddled with malaria....but what about the off shore islands of mabul/sipidan? I am off diving there in July but don't know if I need to take antimalarials! Are there mosquitos and do they carry malaria?? :06:

In Asia, mosquitos are everywhere. Mabul has these pests too.

The best way to avoid it is insect repellent.

I wouldn't worry about it too much but you might want to talk to a doctor. I hear malarone is the best antimalarial. The side affects are few but they're very expensive.

Try and avoid getting bitten. Take and apply Deet sprays from an hour before sunset to after sundown. Wear long pants and and sleeves during those hours if you can. If you don't mind the side affects, then take Malarone. It gives me insomnia, the last thing I need on a 5 dive a day holiday! Depending on the resort, the over-water buildings are a little less mosquito ridden from the breeze blowing through.

the_cat_keeper:
You can find out info on whether if a country/ region has malaria risk via www.cdc.gov

Problem is that cdc say penisular malaysia is ok, sabah isn't but doesn't mention the islands! Doctors don't seem to have that specific info either....I just wondered what most divers on these islands have done in the past!

Roo:
Problem is that cdc say penisular malaysia is ok, sabah isn't but doesn't mention the islands! Doctors don't seem to have that specific info either....I just wondered what most divers on these islands have done in the past!

The CDC says there is no risk in urban or coastal areas. The islands are included in this category. For further confirmation, look at Brunei, which is on Borneo, bordering Sabah, and you'll see there's no risk there. You can relax in regard to the risk of contracting malaria.

Roo:

I have visited Sipadan / Mabul a couple of times and never thought it was necessary to take malaria prophylactics

Roo:
I was there a 1 1/2 years ago and didn't take anything. That doesn't mean there's no malaria of course.

I was at SWV last year. There are mesquitos around the overwater bungalows. They carry lots of other stuff other than malaria...like dengue, and japanese enchephalitis. Pest to do like others have said...apply a good repelent (DEET 15-25%) at dawn and dusk and then don't worry. That's about all you can do...if it's your turn...the jigs up. I live in Thailand and a kid just died of dengue hemoragic fever a couple days ago so **** happens anywhere anytime. Prudent caution (DEET) is about the best you can do. Paranoia should be avoided (prophalactics).

Back
Top Bottom