Malapascua vs Sipadan vs Similan

Which dive location would you choose? Please give me your reason too, thank you :)

• Malapascua

• Sipadan

• Similan

• Other?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisieux

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to decide between these three places to go, Malapascua, Sipadan, or Similan, between mid-April to mid-May. I've talked to several friends' first-hand accounts and they all have different experiences on these places, so I'm hoping to get more opinions here.

I like colorful corals and rich underwater life. I would go to new places if I can see something new and cool (e.g. thresher sharks or mola-mola), but not if the whole dive trip would be boring without seeing them, if that makes sense (one or two boring dives are ok, but not the whole ten dives). I'm into underwater photography too.

Examples of dive sites I've enjoyed tremendously are Komodo and Raja Ampat. I've dived in Mergui and the Galapagos, they're nice but not the top of my list.

Separately, I already have a plan set to go to Lembeh/Bunaken combo as well to check out muck diving.

My diving stats:
  • Advanced diver
  • Nitrox certified
  • 50 dives+ in 2.5 years
  • Last dive was a week ago
Despite my relatively short diving experience, usually I feel very comfortable underwater.

So, which would you choose between these three sites and why? Are there other locations I should look into, specially at this time of the year?

Thanks so much in advance! :)

I’ve been to all 3.

Sipadan in 2008 - on par with R4.

Similan April 2018 - not as interesting as Koh Bon or rechelieu Rock.

Malapascua we left yesterday- very nice. The thresher sharks are amazing to see, but not so much other fish (aquarium style). We had a blast finding seahorses, frog fish, ghost pipefishes, blue ring octopus and lots and lots of nudies. Best dives in years!!

Still I would say for what you’re looking for Sipadan is the place.

I agree with @diveUAE

I've dived Sipadan in 1992 and 2011, huge differences between these dates but Sipadan is still the tops IMHO

Similan was Meh in comparison and that was in the late 80s and mid 90s, personally Thailand doesn't match Phils, Indo and eastern Malaysia.

Never dived Malapascua as it has less appeal due to the thresher shark circus, prefer muck diving in Anilao.

Can I vote for two options?

Out of the first three I'll take Sipadan, which is great : been there 5 times between 2004 (we could still stay on the island) and 2010. There are not many places in SEA where you'd see such schools of fish. Mabul's muck is a bit below though.

Similan are fine for corals,colors and many glass fish. but the rest is a par or two below.

Malapascua : very boring to me, few sites, not up to many places else in the Philippines when it comes to macro.

Second options : Other. You'd love Alor. Triton bay is said to rival Raja Ampat for fish density.

Sipadan was good 20 odd yrs ago. I have written it off when the authority introduced permit.

Tubattaha is my alternative suggestion.

I haven't been to Similan, however, of the other two I would choose to go to Sipadan again. Although permits are required, they are relatively easy to get hold of (I was there last August - 2018 - and dived there 3 out of 5 days). There are fantastic schools of barracuda, trevally and - if you're lucky - bumphead parrotfish, as well as a plethora of reef sharks and turtles. In addition, I thought the muck diving around Kapalai island was excellent (frogfish, ghost pipefish, stonefish, flatheads etc. all in a single dive). Mabul has some nice sites as well, like underneath the old oil rig.

Malapascua is nice as well, but I don't think you would get as much variety or abundance of stuff there. You would do it as a box ticking exercise for thresher sharks (which can be a bit of a circus). I was there in Feb 2018 and for a standard thresher shark dive there were perhaps 10-12 boats at the same site. That being said, I still enjoyed it and it's probably much cheaper than a Sipadan trip, with a lot of other sites in the Philippines within close proximity. Gato Island has a nice swim through and generally good macro (frogfish, spanish dancer, pygmy seahorse) and Chocolate Island was great for nudis.

When you go to Bunaken and Lembeh, slip 5 or more days in for Bangka too.

Thank you so much for the in-depth input, everyone! This helps a lot. I inquired for diving in Sipadan, and unfortunately the dates with the permit are not ideal for me. So, for the cost and based on your input, I decided to go to Malapascua!

... Gato Island has a nice swim through and generally good macro (frogfish, spanish dancer, pygmy seahorse) and Chocolate Island was great for nudis.

AJen01 and DiveUAE, can you dive in Gato Island and Chocolate Island with a dayboat trip from Malapascua? Also, were there other (non-diving) things to do in Malapascua, or Cebu in general, that you'd recommend?

Thank you again!
:scubadiver:

Thank you so much for the in-depth input, everyone! This helps a lot. I inquired for diving in Sipadan, and unfortunately the dates with the permit are not ideal for me. So, for the cost and based on your input, I decided to go to Malapascua!

AJen01 and DiveUAE, can you dive in Gato Island and Chocolate Island with a dayboat trip from Malapascua? Also, were there other (non-diving) things to do in Malapascua, or Cebu in general, that you'd recommend?

Thank you again!
:scubadiver:

No problem. Both Gato Island and Chocolate Island are easily doable from Malapascua. Gato Island is about 90 mins and so most companies offer it as part of a 2 dive trip mid-morning, returning at about 2pm. Be aware that most companies will offer daily Thresher Shark trips to Monad Shoal that depart between 4:30-5:30am, with the rest of the day's dives then starting at about 8am. Chocolate Island is much closer and is a shallow dive (max depth about 15m). Malapascua itself has good dive sites - including mating Mandarinfish near the lighthouse - and some cool areas for night dives.

I didn't visit the rest of Cebu but I seem to remember there being some waterfalls and hiking to the South, as well as snorkelling around Moalboal (sardine run on the West Coast) and Oslob (resident whale sharks on the South Coast). The jury's out as to the ethics of the latter given that they're fed. Depending on the season you can get whale watching trips off the West Coast as well.
Malapascua is a nice island but not a lot else going on if you're not diving. I'd probably only recommend 2-3 days diving there and try and combine it with a few other areas; maybe Dauin & Apo Island, or some of the other suggestions mentioned here like Anilao (I've only dived Malapascua but I'll be trying these places next visit to the Philippines).

Reactions: Zef
Given your tastes, definitely try to add Apo Island. It will offer better coral condition and aquarium fishiness than Malapascua. Long day’s travel by bus and ferry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom