Malapascua vs. PG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
..daydreaming about a new trip..

What are the pro's and cons between PG and Malapascua? I have been to PG and even though I would love to go back I wont be able to do both so I want something new.. I guess some of you have been to both..

- divewise?
- nightlife (is there some?)
- costs? (i am a lowww budget traveller)
- variety
- places nearby to visit

How much time does it take from Cebu to Malapascua? And does anybody know an airliner, next to cebu air, that flies from Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur to Cebu? (airasia doesnt)

Hi Sonar, I was in PG for 4 years so know it pretty intimately...but I have chosen to set up my business in Malapascua - personally I prefer it as an all round location for beach/dive/relaxed bars/friendly/family atmosphere.

Divewise - Malapascua has lots of rarely mentioned sights which rival many of the Philippines other destinations. After 10 years as an active instructor and over 6 in the Philippines I am really enjoying the dives we do here in Malapascua. On top of the macro things which the Philippines in general is famous for, we have big stuff - sharks and mantas - which you will rarely see anywhere else....had 3 mantas do a cruise by on my dive yesterday.

Nightlife - far from the thriving nightlife of sabang; but some excellent bars on the beach with lots of friendly locals and tourists...a much more relaxed Boracay/Thailand style than the bars of PG. Up to you which you prefer really.

Plenty of low budget accommodation and diving opportunities here...

Variety of what? Diving...plenty, activities....limited

Places to visit...erm, its a pretty small island, you can visit Leyte on a day trip, or the dive day trip to Gato Island, or some sights on the north of Cebu island on your way here or home.

Hope that helps...

Matt.

You've been to PG, go Malapascua this time. Dives are great! Im totally awed by the threshers!! But go on a weekday, better chances of seeing the sharks & mantas, as weekends are full of divers.
(Malapascua is like Anilao for Manila divers) Three hours trip fr Cebu proper (2hrs by car & another hr by boat)
There's some bars, but not like Sabang. Its very quiet compared to PG.
Not sure of nearby places to go.. its just a small island. But with all d good stuffs u can see underwaters, I prefer to be diving all d time! lol! I was there 5 days & there's still sites i havent tried. Will definitely go back!
You can check out my pics & vid on FB.
Evie Go's Photos - Malapascua Dive Trip | Facebook

@sonar
this is an extraction of rjjj111 thread

malapascua
thresher sharks - nitrox is a help. it can take a few dives to see them. also chances of manta. gato island also very good. all together good for 4 to 7 days
sandy beach, bounty feeling, some party though restricted
prefered stay for me: sunsplash second row, but good rooms and nice restaurant

personally i could stay there much longer - diving is good and very diverse

biggest con:
you have to get up early for the threshers!!!
i remember 05:15, be at the dive shop at 05:30. if you want to take a shower, get shaved etc. prior to diving adjust your wake-up time ;-)
but you get into a routine. early morning dive, breakfast, 10oclock be at the dive shop again for a trip to gato island, one of the wrecks or? ample time to take a napp on the banka.

3rd dive?
lighthouse
manderin fish (plenty)
biggest sea horses i have ever seen
but you miss the sundowner!!!

feeling completely different to pg. sandy beach, very relaxing. first row staying would be hypocampus. do a search for cheep accom.
nightlife like pg not existing.

the only location i would dive with sea explorers. very friendly crew!

flights:
kul - ceb philippine air? malysian air
sin - ceb singapore/silk air

cebu - maya approx. 4 hours by public bus.
resorts might run minvans for transfer.

maya - malapascua banca approx. 30min. in case of bad weather have wet suit ready!
if possible book the transfer with resort (2000 to 3000 php) its worth the money (imho)

something off the beaten track?

in the "jens peters" (the travel bible to the phils) i have read that there is a twice weekly transport to southern leyhte. next time im on the island i try to do that?
unfortunately my bible is back home!!!

or you return back to cebu island.
argao - cabilao - alona beach (overland travel time approx. 4-6 hours
cebu - ferry to dumaguete (overland travel approx. 4hours, ferry 2.5hours? tagbilaran to dumaguete 1.5hours?

cebu - moalboal - bato - ferry to dumaguete
cebu moalboal 2.5 hours moalboal bato 2hours

travel times given are all minivan or taxi

moalboal only recommended for a stop if you don't want to travel in one go. be careful, taxis in moalboal do not exist. each place will gladly arrange your transport at horrendous prices.

also 2 resorts in the southeast of bohol. but accommodation pricewise not realistic to me!!!

thx a lot guys

sounds like the perfect spot. Misssed the bounty- idea in PG and dont care about PG- nightlife. Rather have a few San Miq lights in chilled out bar near the beach with some locals and tourists from all over the world..

Thx again; time to start saving (again)

commond forget about that girlie stuff. real men/divers drink smb!!!

but the feeling is good....

nah

Back home I love the Belgium 9% beers and all and I never drink corona or other light stuff but SML just tastes great.

Could be that i would find it taste poorly here but in PH it's my drink :blinking:

@sonar

i knew you are a man!!!

what was that? smb, surface marker.......

nothing taste's better than a smb in the philippines - well how about a tanduey?

My breakfast is usually a Red horse, some balot and a coke glass with matador straight. During my first dive I catch and consume a titan trigger fish. I floss my teeth with seasnake and use a stonefish as sponch.

no need for tanduey :D

Back
Top Bottom