Malapascua or Moalboal? and Cabilao or Balicasag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pony

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are returning to the PI in March 2010 and are trying to decide on a couple of dive destination within the alotted time. We have 6 days of "safari" time during the first half of the trip. My question is, if you had to choose between Malapascua OR Moalboal and then Cabilao OR Balicasag, what 2 would you do? And why?

Some considerations....

1. We know there may be a greater chance of seeing Shark life in Malapascua (which would be VERY nice, but there is a much longer travel time there vs Moalboal.
2. We WILL be traveling to Siquijor via Safari boat; and Balicasag is much closer.
3. We WILL be diving Siquijor, Dauin and Apo during the second half of trip and have this figured out.

Any help(as PPD forum members has always been) is greatly appreciated.

We are returning to the PI in March 2010 and are trying to decide on a couple of dive destination within the alotted time. We have 6 days of "safari" time during the first half of the trip. My question is, if you had to choose between Malapascua OR Moalboal and then Cabilao OR Balicasag, what 2 would you do? And why?

Some considerations....

1. We know there may be a greater chance of seeing Shark life in Malapascua (which would be VERY nice, but there is a much longer travel time there vs Moalboal.
2. We WILL be traveling to Siquijor via Safari boat; and Balicasag is much closer.
3. We WILL be diving Siquijor, Dauin and Apo during the second half of trip and have this figured out.

Any help(as PPD forum members has always been) is greatly appreciated.

If it were me I would do Moalboal and Cabilao and this is why:

IMHO Moalboal is a much more diverse dive destination than Malapascua. I think once you have lined up for the Thresher Shark Show once, it could become boring very quickly. I have been there a couple of times and although it is a lovely place I probably wont go back. On the other hand I was living in Moalboal for 1 1/2 months, making approx 45 dives there and always enjoyed myself.

The next choice is Cabilao since you missed the shark show at Malapascua(if you choose MOALBOAL) you should be able to see some sharks at on Cabilao. However, the main reason I would choose it is because I have dived Alona many many times but have never made it to Cabilao.

Again this is only my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.....

Cheers,
Roger

Pony,
I agree with Captain's analysis of Malapascua and Moalboal (although I've only dived Moalboal). However, I think Balicasag is the preferential choice of that pair. There are 4 well-known, good dive sites on Balicasag, and it will take 2 days to do them all properly. I've seen Jacks, Mackerel, bunches of turtles, as well as all the normal reef creatures. There are also wonderful coral gardens with hard and soft corals, sponges, and all the rest.

Regards,
Bob

Apo Island, Dauin is considered to be one of the best island for diving worldwide. Siquijor dive sites are so very popular in macro...the known dive center in these places is Sea Explorers Philippines.

The way I understand your schedule is that all your diving will be by safari boat. You have the
2nd half of your trip already mapped out but have not decided where to go on your first half of 6 days. Your dilemma in the first half is to choose between Malapascua versus Moalboal and Cabilao versus Balicasag.
Based on this assumptions, allow me to give you my 2 cents worth. I have been to Malapascua,
Moalboal, Balicasag, Dauin, and Apo Island but not to Siquijor or Cabilao. Most of the places you have already chosen are mainly macro stuff but I can't say what you will find in Siquijor. Balicasag may offer an opportunity to see sharks. Apo Island givesyou a large school of jacks (Mangsa Point), giant turtles,clownfish city which are all wide angle shots in addition to macro subjects. In order to balance this disparity leaning towards macro, I strongly recommend you go to Malapascua. It offers Gato Island with sharkS in the caverns (it's also a macro photo dive so it's hard to choose if you're only making 1 dive), the Dona Marilyn wreck (I don't know of any other area in the Visayas that offers a big historic wreck like this) which is worth 2 dives (outside & inside), Monad Shoal (chance for Thresher Shark and Manta), Kemod Shoal (chance for Thresher, Hammerhead, and manta) plus the usual and unusual macro life that you come to expect in the Coral Triangle. A group of us (7) are off to Malapascua and Cabilao this October, so if you can wait for a report, just send me a Private Message in Scubaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom