Malapascua: Ocean Vida or Evolution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all-

A friend of mine will be visiting the Philippines in October and is leaning towards a trip to Malapascua for diving. Reading through various discussions here and on the web, Ocean Vida and Evolution seem to be standouts for staying/diving.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with both and could recommend one or the other, assuming both are available for the dates.

And, for a bonus question: is Malapascua a good place to go in October, or will other locales be better? Her friends have already dived Puerto Galera, so they wanted to pick a different spot.

Thank you.

Stayed at Evolution on couple occasions and very satisfied with everything.
Rooms at Ocean Vida certainly looks a lot better but I would rather spend the extra on diving/food or private transfer!

I stayed and did a week of technical diving with Evolution. Very good experience all around.

- brett

We have always stayed with Ocean Vida, the rooms are in probably the best location on the island. The food is a lot better in Evolution though, but have heard some grumbles about Gringo guides in Evolution.

Evolution wasted my time and money. I was the only customer that day and hence to keep the costs down, got some local boys on their staffing who barely spoke English to make the boat trip for my dive. They took me down to 15 mtrs and all I could see was the tip of a ledge in the distance and the bubbles of a dozen other divers down deeper who were probably enjoying their sightings of the Thresher shark. I saw nothing else. All this after spending php4000 just one way cost for a Taxi, sleeping at 1am and waking up at 4am to make the early morning dive.

There was probably some miscommunication despite informing them about my certs (AOWC) by email and showing my cards to the admin staff at check-in, perhaps they thought I was only OWC. I also think their lackadaisical attitude had a lot to with my being the sole South Asian diver (and only customer that day) who cannot affect their reputation or present the opportunity to bring in more American or European customers by word of mouth advertising.

Mine was a short one diving day trip for which I spend 8000 to and fro in Taxi fares and wasted entire 3 vacation days out of 14 going and coming. Not to mention the cost of accommodation and diving…

This was years back likely 2017 IIRC. At least I got some pretty pictures of the nice beaches and had a relaxing post dive time-pass moments walking around the picturesque island.

Can not comment on Ocean but I dove with Evolution a few years back and they were very good and safety conscious.

We have always stayed with Ocean Vida, the rooms are in probably the best location on the island. The food is a lot better in Evolution though, but have heard some grumbles about Gringo guides in Evolution.
Thanks for the comments, glad you enjoyed the food. No "gringo" guides at Evolution, and without you being more specific it's hard from me to say much else! :)

Evolution wasted my time and money. I was the only customer that day and hence to keep the costs down, got some local boys on their staffing who barely spoke English to make the boat trip for my dive. They took me down to 15 mtrs and all I could see was the tip of a ledge in the distance and the bubbles of a dozen other divers down deeper who were probably enjoying their sightings of the Thresher shark. I saw nothing else. All this after spending php4000 just one way cost for a Taxi, sleeping at 1am and waking up at 4am to make the early morning dive.

There was probably some miscommunication despite informing them about my certs (AOWC) by email and showing my cards to the admin staff at check-in, perhaps they thought I was only OWC. I also think their lackadaisical attitude had a lot to with my being the sole South Asian diver (and only customer that day) who cannot affect their reputation or present the opportunity to bring in more American or European customers by word of mouth advertising.

Mine was a short one diving day trip for which I spend 8000 to and fro in Taxi fares and wasted entire 3 vacation days out of 14 going and coming. Not to mention the cost of accommodation and diving…

This was years back likely 2017 IIRC. At least I got some pretty pictures of the nice beaches and had a relaxing post dive time-pass moments walking around the picturesque island.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. As I'm not in the habit of getting into internet fights, I will stick with the apology rather than address a variety of 'errors' in your comments. Sadly when anyone comes for the 1 night "Dash and Dive" to squeeze in the Thresher sharks in the shortest possible time it is always more likely to end in disappointment.

You weren't happy, I'm sorry. We try our best but not everyone is happy and we'll continue trying our best with everyone who chooses Evolution.

Reactions: Dan
@Pearlman
Based entirely from what you had written:
1. They already took you there so it has nothing to do with saving the cost? Couldn't you drop down to 24m alone?
2. Slept at 01:00am! Surely it has nothing to do with anyone. Got up at 04:00am for the thresher shark dive is normal.
3. P8,000.00 for the land transfer. How about the ferry across? Did you manage to catch the public ferry?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom