malapascua/moalboal - nitrox needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHeid2288

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to malapascua/moalboal for a couple weeks in january. For those familiar with the area, what are the typical depths? If diving 2-4 dives per day, how important is nitrox. I have nitrox cert but haven't used it in probably 10 years, and my wife is not nitrox certified.

Thanks!

Nitrox is really helpful in Malapascua , assuming you wife is good on her air. It significantly increases bottom time and Monad Shoal for the thresher sharks is at 30 Mts. All this main dive shops offer Nitrox courses, I did my Nitrox course there and the instructor was excellent. It also makes me and my husband too a lot less tired.

Fitting in four dives a day in the Philippines might be challenging the usual maximum is three , plus a night dive. Some shops leave at 4.30 am for Monad Shoal , so you will be tired !

Going to malapascua/moalboal for a couple weeks in january. For those familiar with the area, what are the typical depths? If diving 2-4 dives per day, how important is nitrox. I have nitrox cert but haven't used it in probably 10 years, and my wife is not nitrox certified.

Thanks!

I just checked my log book for a trip a couple of years ago to Malapascua and the dives I have recorded range from 13m to 34m.

The shoal where the Thesher shark viewing is roughly 30-35m deep. I have a bunch of dives logged in the high teens and a bunch logged in the low to mid 20's (meter-wise).

Nitrox is available on the island, the benefit is entirely based on how you plan to use it.

-Z

From looking at my log I dived Nitrox on Monad Shoal (~30m), but air on the rest of my dives in that area (16-25m).

I also went to Coron on that trip and dived Nitrox on most of the wrecks (25-32m), but air on the reef dives (15-25m).

I would weigh the use/expense of Nitrox against the consumption rate of the people in your group when diving Monad Shoal. It may not make sense to pay for the gas if the consumption rate of others in your group is going to force everyone off the bottom well before the extended no-deco limit for the gas becomes an issue. Also, at certain times of the month there is quite current between the common down line and the shoal, if your group burns through most of their tank getting down then the benefit of paying for nitrox will never be realized.

-Z

I was diving with Thresher Shark divers on numerous occasions over the last 5 years. Over 30 dives at Monad shoal. They would split up the groups so Nitrox divers would be separate from air group.
You are traveling from far away to see these amazing animals. Nitrox will increase your viewing time and get a better chance of actually seeing thresher sharks.
cleaning-small.jpg

I did two visit on malapascua. Dove with fun sun dive both times. This year they offered a two tank trip to monad shoal. Second dive we were only 3 divers in the water. I dive nitrox at this site.

For Monad Shoal in Malapascua - Nitrox is not necessary, but the extra bottom time that you can get with Nitrox is always welcome... Esp if you're just hovering around in >25m waiting for the Threshers :) I wasn't Nitrox certified when I went, but in hindsight, I wish I was already certified!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom