Malapascua-Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning a trip to the Malapascua island in September of 07. I have a few questions on the research I have done.

Where to stay? I have looked at the Malapascua Exotic Beach resort and Cocobana Beach Resort. Suggestions?

Dive ops which to use? Thresher shark divers or Exotic dive operation. Suggestions?

Regarding what I will see....I understand there is a lot of small stuff..Macro....But I am into the Big Stuff....The Thresher sharks, Reef sharks, Rays, Mantas etc.....Will I get an eyeful or is it mostly small stuff? I am a Palau diver...but always looking for something different or maybe better.

I have heard of Boracay and Mindoro....but not into liveaboards or small stuff....so I am focused on the Malapascua area....any heads up is appreciated.

Travelnsj:
I am planning a trip to the Malapascua island in September of 07. I have a few questions on the research I have done.

Where to stay? I have looked at the Malapascua Exotic Beach resort and Cocobana Beach Resort. Suggestions?
I havent stayed at either one of them, but the former has their own dive shop while the latter doesnt.

Travelnsj:
Dive ops which to use? Thresher shark divers or Exotic dive operation. Suggestions?
I dove with Thresher shark divers and I would recommend them to anyone. If you decide to go with TSD, you can book a room at Cocobana beach resort.

Enjoy your stay in Malapascua.

I have been to Malapasua 4 times. I would recommend Thresher Shark Divers (TSD) for diving. Andrea and Trevor used to run the Bubbles 07 shop. They are great people and run a good operation. The only other shop I dove with was Sea Explorers. I would not recommend Exotic as they get cranky when you don't stay with them and eat there. Near the other resorts there are a number of restaurants to eat at.

TSD can help you with booking a room. I usually stay at the Wobbly Boot Resort (Kuan Bar) off the beach for 800-850 pesos including english breakfast with fan. They do have a couple of rooms with AC.

I dove there last May-June and say threshers in the morning and mantas in the afternoon. It is seasonal for mantas and hammerheads. Check with TSD.

Have fun.

jbb and subzero, thanks for the heads up on where to stay and who to dive with. Between Exotic and Cocobana which place is nicer? or is it a coin flip?

The most important thing....what do you see in the underwater world? is it mostly small or a lot of big stuff too?

Thanks,
scott

We stayed at Exotic around 3 years ago, it was the slow time of year and had little choice but to eat most of our meals there, no complaints, except the weather was off! And the Threshers were gone, but Gato island was well worth it.

Another question....Has anyone been there in Sept?....It is still the rainy season but Exotic, Thresher shark divers and a friend of mine who is from the Philippines says it is one of the better times of the year to visit....any info please share.

Travelnsj:
Another question....Has anyone been there in Sept?....It is still the rainy season but Exotic, Thresher shark divers and a friend of mine who is from the Philippines says it is one of the better times of the year to visit....any info please share.

I would bo with Cocobana if you want to stay near the beach. It is closer to TSD anyway (5 minute walk). It is also close to a half dozen other restaurants on the island. I have never been there in Sept. I usually go May-June and Nov - Dec. Thresher have always been around but you do have to be lucky to see them up closer (if you don't play you can't win). Mantas were there the last time at about 2:30 in the afternoon. There is a medium size school of baracuda on the Monad Shoal which where the sharks are. Even saw a great baracuda a couple of times.

I go to Malapasua for the Macro stuff - nudibranchs, pigmy sea horse, cuttle fish and mandarin fish. But Gato island has white tip reef sharks in the cave - never missed them. Occationally you will spot rays - spotted blue and clouded ray? forgot the name. Otherwise I haven't come across other large stuff.

oooh, want to see mantas and sharks. . . . . . . guess ill just have to PRAY for them to cooperate!!!

I was orginally thinking of going in September which I heard is great as long no Hurricanes happen...warm water, off season and calm waters.....I now am thinking about going in March....any heads up on water temps, weather and crowds that time of the year?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom