Mako/Compair/Reavell 5405 compressor sound help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daz996

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys recently bought a 5405 that was driven off a Honda engine and I’ve now converted to electric, it’s low hours but has bin in storage for many years so I’m told, I’ve changed the oil to Mobil Rarus 827,old oil was spotless but just concerned with the sound it’s making, sounds a little small/big end rattle to me or it could just be how the 5405 sounds, compressor is making great air round 220/230 lpm no faults but I’m not liking the sound, I’m use to the sound of little Bauers, can anyone one with any experience with 5405 just listen to the short video clip and give your opinion please, so I know to strip it or not worrie etc thanks for any input, before it gets mentioned it looks like its going the wrong way anti clock but it’s definitely turning clock wise just some affect when I filmed it

I think it sounds fine as frog hair. It doesn't knock like a bauer 4 stage on startup, does it? Sounds exactly like my 5405. Maybe the sound you're hearing is from the suction line. It actually looks a little small to me. If you aren't force feeding it (like with nitrox), you increase 1/2" in hose size for every 10' (or fraction) of hose, so if that hose is 0-10 feet long, it should be 1 1/2". If it's 10-20 feet long, 2"

I think it sounds fine as frog hair. It doesn't knock like a bauer 4 stage on startup, does it? Sounds exactly like my 5405. Maybe the sound you're hearing is from the suction line. It actually looks a little small to me. If you aren't force feeding it (like with nitrox), you increase 1/2" in hose size for every 10' (or fraction) of hose, so if that hose is 0-10 feet long, it should be 1 1/2". If it's 10-20 feet long, 2"
suction line is 2 metres long and has a I.D of 25mm
It rattles bad on start up if there’s no pressure in the 3rd stage but my baby Bauer’s do that on start up empty for the 1st couple of seconds till pressure starts moving the floating 3rd stage piston,it’s 100% not induction noise,I’ve gone round it with a stethoscope and it sounds like it’s coming deep in the block, and appears to get slightly louder as it warms up/oil fins, the video clip is at operating temp, I’ve fitted an earth magnet to the drain plug when I changed the oil 9hrs ago I think I’ll run it for 1 more hour and drop the oil out and see if there’s anything on the magnet, I just don’t want to ignore a potential problem and hurt the compressor.

suction line is 2 metres long and has a I.D of 25mm
It rattles bad on start up if there’s no pressure in the 3rd stage but my baby Bauer’s do that on start up empty for the 1st couple of seconds till pressure starts moving the floating 3rd stage piston,it’s 100% not induction noise,I’ve gone round it with a stethoscope and it sounds like it’s coming deep in the block, and appears to get slightly louder as it warms up/oil fins, the video clip is at operating temp, I’ve fitted an earth magnet to the drain plug when I changed the oil 9hrs ago I think I’ll run it for 1 more hour and drop the oil out and see if there’s anything on the magnet, I just don’t want to ignore a potential problem and hurt the compressor.
Well, my point is that mako's don't have floating pistons.... That's why I asked if it knocked like a Bauer.

And a hose that long should be 50mm

I thought this compressor had a floating 3rd stage piston looking at the parts diagram hence I wasn’t concerned with the rattle on start up empty for a couple of seconds, so 3rd stage piston is connect to the rod then?

Attachments

• DCC4F9E0-4ABF-452F-A1B6-4B127C820B16.png
    DCC4F9E0-4ABF-452F-A1B6-4B127C820B16.png
    235.5 KB · Views: 94
My bad, you are correct. The majority of Mako 5405 have floating pistons. Still, I'd take the suction line off and see if the sound changes.

My bad, you are correct. The majority of Mako 5405 have floating pistons. Still, I'd take the suction line off and see if the sound changes.
I’ve done that but the induction note drowns out the noise, I’ve also ran a fill speed check with no hose, on a 15ltr cylinder empty to 200 bar 13min 30 seconds exactly the same with the hose on to, listening with a stethoscope nothing up top near the valves or on the cylinders but I can hear something between the V on stage 3 and 1 on the block.

I’ve done that but the induction note drowns out the noise, I’ve also ran a fill speed check with no hose, on a 15ltr cylinder empty to 200 bar 13min 30 seconds exactly the same with the hose on to, listening with a stethoscope nothing up top near the valves or on the cylinders but I can hear something between the V on stage 3 and 1 on the block.
I wonder if you have a bad rod or pin that is knocking when it comes off of intake stroke into compression stroke. Doesn't sound like a main bearing to me, although that isn't hard to check....

I wonder if you have a bad rod or pin that is knocking when it comes off of intake stroke into compression stroke. Doesn't sound like a main bearing to me, although that isn't hard to check....
I’ve had the belt off and had a shake on the flywheel but nothing up and down etc feels spot on, I’m just not familia with the 5405 sound and don’t want to strip it looking for a problem that’s not there, but to you it sounds normal would you say?

I’ve had the belt off and had a shake on the flywheel but nothing up and down etc feels spot on, I’m just not familia with the 5405 sound and don’t want to strip it looking for a problem that’s not there, but to you it sounds normal would you say?
Sounds like any mako I've ever had, but I've run 5406's for tens of thousands of hours and never seen a bearing or pin go bad. As I say, it sounds like my 5405, but I've never put a stethoscope directly on the block looking for trouble. It sounds a bit like my 3 stage bauer, but my mako doesn't rattle on startup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom