Making your own wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anybody here have experience making their own wetsuits. I can get Rubatex G-231 skin 2 sides neoprene from 3/16" all the way up to 1/2" in 1/16" increments.
I'm really interested in making a few old school cut beaver tail retro suits for myself. I know it's probably not practical but it's something I want to do as a challenge and for the craftsmanship satisfaction.
Does anyone know how to make a pattern from measurements?
Are there tricks and pitfalls I should consider.
I have a grasp on cutting and glueing, I made a pair of 6.5 mil socks and have cut and re-fit an oversized suit down to custom fit me, but this time I am looking to make a suit from scratch.
Any websites or books that could be recommended would be great.
I also need a source for zippers and stainless twist lock clasps for the front of the beavertail.

Thanks

Eric

Does anybody here have experience making their own wetsuits. I can get Rubatex G-231 skin 2 sides neoprene from 3/16" all the way up to 1/2" in 1/16" increments.
I'm really interested in making a few old school cut beaver tail retro suits for myself. I know it's probably not practical but it's something I want to do as a challenge and for the craftsmanship satisfaction.
Does anyone know how to make a pattern from measurements?
Are there tricks and pitfalls I should consider.
I have a grasp on cutting and glueing, I made a pair of 6.5 mil socks and have cut and re-fit an oversized suit down to custom fit me, but this time I am looking to make a suit from scratch.
Any websites or books that could be recommended would be great.
I also need a source for zippers and stainless twist lock clasps for the front of the beavertail.

Thanks

Eric

Pattern making is the challenge. If you have an old suit that fits take it apart carefully.

Check with boat canvas companies for the zips and twist locks.

I just noticed the skin two sides, you won't need any sewing.
(The "other" major problem is the blind stitch sewing. Not mandatory with a good glue job, but nice to have.)

You might also check with the custom suit fabricators to see if they would entertain producing a suit with customer furnished materials.

Tobin

Last edited:
Pattern making is the challenge. If you have an old suit that fits take it apart carefully.

Check with boat canvas companies for the zips and twist locks.

I just noticed the skin two sides, you won't need any sewing.
(The "other" major problem is the blind stitch sewing. Not mandatory with a good glue job, but nice to have.)

You might also check with the custom suit fabricators to see if they would entertain producing a suit with customer furnished materials.

Tobin

I could probably get the material then have M&B or Otter Bay make the suit. The thing is, I don't really want to get Don or Cricket involved, I don't want to hurt any feeling or get them alarmed thinking I'm taking business away from them.
There was a guy years ago that had a dive shop up here in Santa Rosa called Pacific Divers skin divng supply. The owner, Frank Carli, used to sell you a sheet or two of neoprene a baby food bottle full of glue that he'd pour off from a large container, and a pattern that he sketched out based on your measurements. You could get a few different zippers if you wanted and the twist locks.
This is all before my time and I never knew Frank, but just a few weeks ago I decided to do a little research and see if I could find 'ol Frank and see if he'd help me. I did find his number in the phone book, but when the lady answered and I introduced myself and explained why I called she informed me that Frank passed away a few years ago.
So that was that.

Search on Vintage Double Hose
There was a thread or two on this subject a while back. I seem to recall there is a guy in Europe that will make a custom beavertail for you. If you are interested in making some, there is a pretty good demand for slick beavertail suits in the vintage diving community.
There is also a scoundrel on eBay making these suits who is operating under various names who will rip you off and take your money and you will not see your suit.

Thanks for the info.

Actually I got it taken care of. I called otter bay wetsuits and talked to the lady there and told her my intentions. She said she would be glad to measure me and sell me a pattern and let me do it myself. There was no weirdness about it.
I'll post on vintagedoublehose when I get it done and show it off. I'm sure those guys over there will eat it up.

Back
Top Bottom