Making one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello

I will be graduating Navy EOD dive school in a week and have received some excellent training. Upon graduation I will be qualified on the MK 16 (semi-closed rebreather).

I'd like to start diving rebreathers in a civilian context and after examining some of the Dragers they have here I think I might actually try and build my own. The Dragers we have are all 100% O2 so naturally I understand there is a depth limitation with building that type of rig. However I don't intend on using it for anything beyond spear fishing, lobstering, treasure hunting, etc....

Anyone have any experience building a 100% O2 rig? Any blueprints about?

You may want to take a look at rebreatherworld.com as they have lots of information on rebreathers, including a homebuilder section..

I recommend you proceed with extreme caution. Civilian recommended maximum operating depth for pure oxygen rebreathers is 20 feet.

Used Drager semi closed rebreathers are going for around 1500.. which is probably very competitive to what you could custom build a rebreather for, and well tested.

Kiss rebreathers are manually controlled fully closed and a bit more.. www.jetsam.ca price range around 5200-5700 with miscellaneous parts missing..

Megalodon COPIS rebreather is a manually controlled fully closed, .. supposed to be 6100 ready to dive.

Megalodon is also available as an electronically controlled fully closed, all ready to go closer to 8500.

None of these prices include a computer capable of calculating NDL for a semiclosed or fully closed rebreather, but table's are available.

Take care and best wishes
Scott

For general info Rebreathers Worldwide has a huge data base.
On Rebreather World there a couple of people diving Dräger LAR models.
For the Dräger Dolphin you can get a 100% O2 jet if that tickles your fancy,
and have the unit where you're accustomed to, on your back.
The OMG Castoro C96 is a commercially available O2 rebreather, very good
little (military) rig from Italy. Importer Divesafe is in the Las Vegas area.

Unless the water in your neighborhood is less than 20 ft deep I'd go with
a Sport Kiss. God to 165 ft, simple to use and maintain, well build, good
bailout, least expensive on the market.

You also might want to check local ordenances, spearfishing with a RB or
even with SCUBA gear may not be legal as in quite a few other places.

mmadiver:
Hello

I will be graduating Navy EOD dive school in a week and have received some excellent training. Upon graduation I will be qualified on the MK 16 (semi-closed rebreather).

I'd like to start diving rebreathers in a civilian context and after examining some of the Dragers they have here I think I might actually try and build my own. The Dragers we have are all 100% O2 so naturally I understand there is a depth limitation with building that type of rig. However I don't intend on using it for anything beyond spear fishing, lobstering, treasure hunting, etc....

Anyone have any experience building a 100% O2 rig? Any blueprints about?

They are easy to build.................hard to get right:eyebrow:

I see lots of folks who modify or make a rebreather. It is like a cult thing with everyone showing off their mods. I firmly believe my life is to valuable to re-invent the wheel. Now that may be my lack of experience (two years) but my wife needs them to find the body! I tell perspective students that they will kill you real quick if you dont pay attention. I call it Mikes six P's proper planning prevents piss poor performance. You can save some money and the science is an absolute but I wont do it. I dive a classic inspiration and love it.

Cheers.:wink:

Yep, that one works, did 50 years ago and still does.
But as I mentioned, you better have a really good idea what you're doing.
Tom Rose does, probably has forgotten more about diving and rebreathers than I know.

Last DEMA he showed up with an O2 monitor with dual mercury switches that he brought along on a plane. It was attached to an injection/cell housing that turns an O2 rebreather into a mixed gas CCR by simply plugging it in and hooking up a dil tank.
And plans for sampling chamber in the loop to measure CO2 that might just work.

But since you mention Tom's website, have a a look around. Tom's a great guy that can tell a good story well. Some made it to his website, like the one of Surfy.

Back
Top Bottom