Making LP Valve Seats for Second Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I couldn't find this info doing a search but it must have been discussed already...

What is a good material (rubber etc) to use to make second stage LP valve seats? I've tried inner tube rubber but it's too soft and makes for hard breathing, but it does seal well. Way back when all we had was Usenet there was a discussion (rec.scuba probably) and someone described a particular type of rubber sheet that they use with great success. Anyone have such a material that they use? For all I know it was one of you scuba gurus who are on SB now :) I remember that they used a hammer-driven punch that was the right size and and the process was cheap, simple, and reliable. The other option would be to find a source for quantities of LP seals. So far I'm only finding them for around $4 each on up and then they want to ship it UPS for a ridiculous amount. I recently came upon a Sherwood Maximus and the LP seat is a white plastic and looks like the same same thing a typical HP seat would be made of (Teflon?) but it seems to me a HP seat would be too stiff.

depends if you just need the puck style for unbalanced 2nds or the hat style for balanced 2nds. hat style is not as easy diy (except for specific iterations of certain poppets), i just buy the trident a148 seats. for puck style, just follow the @awap guide for punching them out of epdm sheet from mcmaster carr

Generic LP seats - Where to buy?

I recently made a punch to do just this. They seem to work but don`t know about the longevity. I cannot for the life of me remember where I got the rubber sheets that I used. I have enough left from the original use that I can make several hundred. PM me your name and address and I`ll mail you a couple to try out. And I agree, $4 for a two cent piece of rubber is outrageous.

I recently made a punch to do just this. They seem to work but don`t know about the longevity. I cannot for the life of me remember where I got the rubber sheets that I used. I have enough left from the original use that I can make several hundred. PM me your name and address and I`ll mail you a couple to try out. And I agree, $4 for a two cent piece of rubber is outrageous.

Great! Thanks everyone! I have a 3-hole paper punch that seems to be the right size. I can get an inner tube in it but the 1/16" might be more of a challenge so I may be ordering a punch too. I only have one regulator (ScubaPro) that uses the hat style seat so I won't mind so much if I only have to buy one once-in-a-while.

I took the seat out of the Maximus and flipped it over and it now appears to be more like silicone. Actually, I think it is a bit too soft.

I could take a deep breath and pay the $4 apiece but then they want $4 to ship just one! I also tried to buy some flat filters for a few bucks apiece and the place wanted something like $28 shipping via UPS! I asked if they ship First Class and got no reply so I assume it's a money-maker. Don't these people know I need to save my money for dive boats? I did, however, manage to get a place in Canada to ship me some Belleville washers First Class in an envelope and with the exchange rate it all came to about 78 cents :) They were discontinued so they were probably happy to get rid of them.

Perhaps in the near future I may be selling LP seats a dozen for a dollar with 50 cents shipping. It may include a lengthy disclaimer :wink:

To piggyback on @Perryed , if you want some of the 70 duro silicone ones I'm punching to try, pm me an address and I'll drop some in the mail.
v/r
James

I actually made my punch out of a drilled out and sharpened 3/8th inch drive 1/4 inch socket. I have found that it`s a little cheaper to mfg. your own tools. Plus I`m retired, so, plenty of time.

I actually made my punch out of a drilled out and sharpened 3/8th inch drive 1/4 inch socket. I have found that it`s a little cheaper to mfg. your own tools. Plus I`m retired, so, plenty of time.

I'm not sure if I'm retired or unemployed but I make a lot of my own stuff too. Lately it's been backwings and pockets etc to hold the little things that I probably won't ever use but will wish I had it when the time comes. About a year or so ago a friend in Hawai'i gave me a dive computer and it was kinda like "what do I need one of those for but I should probably have one" situations. Since then I've acquired a total of six and have decided which one I like the best. It actually came in handy recently when the second dive was just as deep as the first dive and my ND time was down to four minutes but since I had the computer I went back down to see what everyone was looking at under a rock. I would not have gone back down without the computer telling me it was OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom