Making Hydrostatic Diaphragms for Environment Caps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is probably a stupid question but does anyone know the material typically used for making hydrostatic diaphragms that go underneath the Environmental Caps used on sealed diaphragm first stages. Kind of like how some people make their own LP seats with a sheet of rubber and a punch tool. I can obviously use a digital caliper to measure their thickness.

I have a lot of first stages and I typically try to keep an excel spreadsheet of when they were "last" serviced by the serial number on the first stage.

For all my Apeks first stages that have a clear hydrostatic diaphragm I use a label maker to put my name and date last serviced underneath the sealed environmental cap. I think a lot of people do this but I wish I could do it on my non-Apeks first stages so I can quickly glance to see when it was last serviced.

I'd like to make up a bunch of "clear" hydrostatic diaphragms so I can do the same thing on some of my HOG and even Deep 6 first stages.

upload_2018-3-21_11-53-30.png

upload_2018-3-21_11-53-57.png

silicone typically. just measure the thickness, get the right sized punch, and you're good to go. Nothing special about those

Thanks. I figured it was pretty straight forward. I just wanted to find appropriate material. I'll see if McMasterCarr has something that will work.

Does not matter what thikness is. It just should be enough thikness to prevent diafragm goes to the chink between reg hull and plastic dry camera pistone (so, condoms is too thin for diaphragm :) )
For example you can use old broken mask to take material for diaphragm.

BTW: one taiwaneese reg manufacturer use special metal mesh to protect that diaphragm:
1435107632.jpg

I'll measure some various diaphragms with digital calipers tonight but I agree the thickness shouldn't be a huge deal since you can screw down the environmental cap. I just think it can't be too thin.

I'm looking at sheets of silicone rubber here (clear)

McMaster-Carr

Hole punches (i'm sure there are better/cheaper options but I own a couple of these already in various sizes, I just need to measure the diameter of the diaphragms tonight)
McMaster-Carr

This is probably a stupid question but does anyone know the material typically used for making hydrostatic diaphragms that go underneath the Environmental Caps used on sealed diaphragm first stages. Kind of like how some people make their own LP seats with a sheet of rubber and a punch tool. I can obviously use a digital caliper to measure their thickness.

I have a lot of first stages and I typically try to keep an excel spreadsheet of when they were "last" serviced by the serial number on the first stage.

For all my Apeks first stages that have a clear hydrostatic diaphragm I use a label maker to put my name and date last serviced underneath the sealed environmental cap. I think a lot of people do this but I wish I could do it on my non-Apeks first stages so I can quickly glance to see when it was last serviced.

I'd like to make up a bunch of "clear" hydrostatic diaphragms so I can do the same thing on some of my HOG and even Deep 6 first stages.

View attachment 451513
View attachment 451514

I have about 7 or so of the clear Apeks ones as I swap them for the cool all black reusable Sapphire ones. If you're interested message me. Cheers.

I swap them for the cool all black reusable Sapphire ones.

I thought clear.....no blue....no red....was the sought after color. I guess I just don't know what fashion is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom